Which is the best english?

We investigated various alternatives
    or
    We have investigated various alternatives

or can both be used?

Re: have or not

Both can be used.

"We have investigated..." indicates a clear connection between the investigation and the present: "We have investigated various alternatives, and now we know which one is the best."

"We investigated..." does not indicate any connection with the present: "We investigated various alternatives, identified the best one, implemented it and solved all our problems."

American English uses the present perfect ("have investigated") less often than British English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    "We have investigated..." indicates a clear connection between the investigation and the present: "We have investigated various alternatives, and now we know which one is the best."

"We investigated..." does not indicate any connection with the present: "We investigated various alternatives, identified the best one, implemented it and solved all our problems."
    You continue to display an overactive imagination. How else can one explain your detailed, although completely made-up, differences in meaning between the with "have" and without "have" 'sentences'.
    Furthermore, you have a strange idea of what constitutes connection with the present. Of course "solved all our problems" is also a connection with the present. (the present situation is that all our problems are solved/we currently have no problems)

In fact neither of the poster's initial 'sentences' tells us anything about the present situation, and both of them can be associated with any number of identical present situations. Below are three of the many other possible present situations.
    We (have) investigated various alternatives and found that none of them are any better than the rest.
    We (have) investigated various alternatives and found that one of them is superior to all the rest.
    We (have) investigated various alternatives and found that one of them is superior to all the rest, but unfortunately we don't presently have the money to implement it.

I don't know why you continue to confuse English learners with your unjustified assertions.
    American English uses the present perfect ("have investigated") less often than British English.

2006 wrote:

I don't know why you continue to confuse English learners with your unjustified assertions.
    I ask myself that at least, daily, 2006. There sure is a lot of it going on, isn't there?

But Rewboss has made/made some positive assertions but I'm gonna let you two hash this out for a bit.