• Post Thanks / Like

Are there sentences right?

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me with these sentences:

We arrived in/at (?) the living room (I would say "in" is the right option)
    My friends and I/me (?) were in the pub (I would say "I" is the right option)
    We/us (?), the Jews, could not move.(I would say "we" is the right option)
    When it rains, the water beats against the window (is there any other word to use instead of “beats” that describe such a noise better?)
    The people who/that (?) ate the cake (…) (I would say "that" is the right option)
    Can a house in a forest be called “a forest house”?
    The last dish/course (?) was the dessert (I would say boths options are possible, but I'm not sure)
    We were sitting around the table while my mother was cooking dinner (This sentence doesn't sound good to me, but perhaps is gramatically right)
    We started to sing altogether (I would say here "We all started to sing", but perhaps "we started to sing altogether is also OK)

Thanks!!!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are there sentences right?

Quote Originally Posted by silviasabater_2000 View Post
    Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me with these sentences:

We arrived in/at (?) the living room (I would say "in" is the right option)
    My friends and I/me (?) were in the pub (I would say "I" is the right option)
    We/us (?), the Jews, could not move.(I would say "we" is the right option)
    When it rains, the water beats against the window (is there any other word to use instead of “beats” that describe such a noise better?) splashes/ spatters - it rather depends how heavy the rains is.
    The people who/that (?) ate the cake (…) (I would say "that" is the right option)
    Can a house in a forest be called “a forest house”? It can.
    The last dish/course (?) was the dessert (I would say boths options are possible, but I'm not sure) course - dessert is a course within a meal in this context.
    We were sitting around the table while my mother was cooking dinner (This sentence doesn't sound good to me, but perhaps is gramatically right) It is grammatical - it is implying a continuing narrative, whereas "We sat around the table..." is a statement of fact.
    We started to sing altogether (I would say here "We all started to sing", but perhaps "we started to sing altogether is also OK) It isn't - "altogether" = completely, in total. If you had written " We started to sing all together", it is acceptable - all [the people] at once.
    Thanks!!!