• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Could/ Might he be right about that, I wondered.

The following sentence comes from Martin Hewings' ADVANCED GRAMMAR IN USE:
    Ray told me that someone had bought the old house next door. Could/ Might (Might would be rather formal here) he be right about that, I wondered.

Could you tell me why we have 'Could/ Might he be right about that' rather than 'He could/might be right about that' in this sentence? If it is a question for the reason of the phrase 'I wondered', then why isn't the question mark "?" used?

Thank you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Could/ Might he be right about that, I wondered.

It is because it is in the form of a question that she is asking to herself.

Could/ Might he be right about that, I wondered.

You use a question mark whenever the sentence itself asks a question. For instance, you don't put a question mark in after a rhetorical question, because an answer is not really wanted. And you wouldn't but one in in a sentence like this one:

George wondered whether he had made a mistake in punctuation.

Because even though George has a question, the sentence itself is a statement of that fact, rather than a query.

On the other hand, in dialog (internal or external) a sentence that would otherwise be a statement could be turned into a question, complete with question mark, in order to indicate doubt or disbelief.

"Who did it?"
    "George did it."
    "George did it?"