• Post Thanks / Like

what does this mean

dear teacher plain explain. 1. he is an exponent of spin bowling. 2. things were different back then. [ what does back then mean? ]. 3 the eye-wteringly expensive prices . 4. come good on your promises . 5. competitive edge . 6. he cut a sorry figure in the examination .

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: what does this mean

Dear Lalda,
    I will attempt to answer your questions but I have not heard some of them before.

1. he is an exponent of spin bowling. ??? Could this be He is an expert in spin bowling. Spin bowling is a cricket term I believe. and you can find an explanation here: Spin bowling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. back then means historically or during a time before the present.

3. "the eye-wateringly expensive prices" are prices that are so high that they make you want to cry.

4. "come good on your promises" you might also hear as: make good on your promise and it simply means that you should fulfill your promises.5. "competitive edge" is an advantage in business or a competition

6. "he cut a sorry figure in the examination" I have not heard this one before but I imagine the meaning is that he did not do well in the examination.

I hope this helps,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: what does this mean

He is an exponent of spin bowling-- meaning of exponent is one that speaks for or represents.