• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile with its head and body held very low

When two penguins are angry with each other, they will stare at each other. When one penguin is angry and the other one is not, the one who is not angry will look away from the other and walk away with its head and body held very low.

Does "held" in the above mean "kept/maintained/remained?" If not, what does it mean?

Second, why is it not "lowly" but "low?" I think we need an adverb in that context? Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: with its head and body held very low

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    When two penguins are angry with each other, they will stare at each other. When one penguin is angry and the other one is not, the one who is not angry will look away from the other and walk away with its head and body held very low.

Does "held" in the above mean "kept/maintained/remained?" ...

Second, why is it not "lowly" but "low?" I think we need an adverb in that context? Thanks.
    There are some apparent adjectives that are adverbs - what's called a 'bare adverb. In a number of cases the -ly adverb and the bare adverb are not interchangeable. See more here: Lessard, Nathalie,: The Meaning of the English Adverbial Suffix-ly

But in this case I would say that 'low' is not a bare adverb, but a description of the posture resulting from the verb - 'walk away with its head and body held very low' = 'walk away with its head and body in a low position'.

I'm not your best source on grammatical technicalities though - other teachers may disagree; I'm beginning to think that the "in" in my paraphrase gives the "low" a bit of an adverbial effect....

b
    Last edited by BobK; 13-Dec-2007 at 15:09. Reason: Added last two paras. And added hyphen in first line

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: with its head and body held very low

Thanks, Bob.