• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Zambia
      • Current Location:
      • Zambia

'Jackassed'

Can any one out there tell me what 'jack ass' or is it 'jackass' means and how to use it? i am not quite sure. For example if one says they've been jackassed, do they mean they've been made to look stupid? What other ways can the word/words be used? I guess it is slang, if it hasn't already found its way into the big book

Re: 'Jackassed'

A jackass is a term for a foolish or boorish person. It's a very mild "swear" word, at least in my part of the country. There is a reality TV show called "Jackass," that I believe shows people doing really stupid stunts - perhaps this is the source of the expression "to be jackassed," which I have never heard, but then again I've never seen the show. :)

Mother to teen: "If you would stop being a jackass and clowning around, we might actually be able to get this job finished before midnight."

Friend to friend: "I'm sorry about what happened at the party last night - I know I was behaving like a jackass. I should know better than to drink tequila."

[native speaker, not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Zambia
      • Current Location:
      • Zambia

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    A jackass is a term for a foolish or boorish person. It's a very mild "swear" word, at least in my part of the country. There is a reality TV show called "Jackass," that I believe shows people doing really stupid stunts - perhaps this is the source of the expression "to be jackassed," which I have never heard, but then again I've never seen the show. :)

Mother to teen: "If you would stop being a jackass and clowning around, we might actually be able to get this job finished before midnight."

Friend to friend: "I'm sorry about what happened at the party last night - I know I was behaving like a jackass. I should know better than to drink tequila."

[native speaker, not a teacher]

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes View Post
    Can any one out there tell me what 'jack ass' or is it 'jackass' means and how to use it? i am not quite sure. For example if one says they've been jackassed, do they mean they've been made to look stupid?
    "Jackass" was not used as a verb (as in "you've been jackassed") until the MTV show Jackass (and the related feature films) became popular.

So, what exactly does this new verb mean? Being made to look foolish? Isn't the risk of physical injury an important component? If your friend talks you into skateboarding down the steps into the subway, and you wind up in the hospital, have you then "been jackassed"?