Use of prepositions

I understand that prepositions can go along with verbs, adjectives and nouns. However, very often I found it difficult for us ESL learners to know which prepositions should be used when both the verb, adjective and noun are present at the same time. That is, I don't know whether the preposition should go with the verb or the noun? Gee, such a question has made me baffled and annoyed. Please help.

Re: Use of prepositions

Quote Originally Posted by alal6375 View Post
    I understand that prepositions can go along with verbs, adjectives and nouns. However, very often I found it difficult for us ESL learners to know which prepositions should be used when both the verb, adjective and noun are present at the same time. That is, I don't know whether the preposition should go with the verb or the noun? Gee, such a question has made me baffled and annoyed. Please help.
    This is simply much too expansive a question to be answered in any effective way, Alal. I understand that they can be baffling, and therefore annoying but that's life in language I'm afraid.

Try narrowing your approach and then maybe we can offer some effective guidance.

Refer this example:
    The Bird "SAT" on "The BEAUTIFUL LADY".
    Sat is the verb in this sentence
    Beautiful is the adjective
    Lady is the Noun
    On is the Preposition

Generally, the preposition precedes the Adjective which is followed by the noun.
    The verb comes first when a sentence has a preposition.

The Cat is under the table.
    Cat-Noun
    Under - Prepostion

Thus....The preposition always goes with the Noun or Adjective Noun but never with the Verb.

On the contrary, the prepostion can follow a verb but can never precede it.For example:Sat on the table......Sat is Verb and On is the preposition.

Conclusion:A preposition usually indicates the temporal, spatial or logical relationship of its object to the rest of the sentence"

Trust this clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bornbad View Post
    Refer this example:
    The Bird "SAT" on "The BEAUTIFUL LADY".
    Sat is the verb in this sentence
    Beautiful is the adjective
    Lady is the Noun
    On is the Preposition

Generally, the preposition precedes the Adjective which is followed by the noun.
    The verb comes first when a sentence has a preposition.

The Cat is under the table.
    Cat-Noun
    Under - Prepostion

Thus....The preposition always goes with the Noun or Adjective Noun but never with the Verb.

On the contrary, the prepostion can follow a verb but can never precede it.For example:Sat on the table......Sat is Verb and On is the preposition.

Conclusion:A preposition usually indicates the temporal, spatial or logical relationship of its object to the rest of the sentence"

Trust this clarifies.
    Thank you Bornbad. But this is beside the point. I will pick up the issue again later. So busy these days.