Three Qs

I would like to ask native speakers of English about the followings, which come from three different passages

Two people meet. What do they normally do? They talk about the weather, whatís going on in their homes, clubs, or on the baseball diamond.
    Normally, such talk leads to friendliness. It is true that sometimes it may lead to quarrels ad fights. But for every time this happens, there are at least a hundred times when the two speakers part better friends than when they started.

#1 I donít understand but and for. Would you please explain that?

The following is about the history of the U.S.
    In those days in the southern United States, they had separate public facilities, such as toilets and drinking fountains, even separate inferior schools.

#2 What is the inferior schools? Elementary schools?

The brain is the most complicated organ in our bodies. Our thinking, remembering, and communication abilities originate in this small organ. It is difficult to imagine that this small gray organ is so important. But scientists have shown that this is a fact.

#3 What does the gray here mean? Literally the color gray or figuratively unclear as in gray zone?
    Iím asking this because I donít think its color is gray.

Thank you very much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: Three Qs

1. "but for" used to set off two very different results from conversation with a new friend.
    same idea:
    'This may lead to arguments once in awhile, but on hundreds of occassions they part better friends.'
    2. Meant facilities and teachers were not as good. This was true of both elementary and secondary schools in "the old days".
    3.Literally gray. A freshly removed brain may be a grayish pink color. They turn white if kept exposed to air.

Thank you very much, oregeezer

About #1, I think but and for are separated in meaning as the following. Is it correct?

But / for every time this happens, there are at least a hundred times when the two speakers part better friends than when they started.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Thank you very much, oregeezer

About #1, I think but and for are separated in meaning as the following. Is it correct?

But / for every time this happens, there are at least a hundred times when the two speakers part better friends than when they started.
    Exactly, Progress!

When reading the sentence aloud, pause after you say the word 'but' and the meaning of sentence will make more sense to you.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Thank you very much, Amigos4