• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Post grammtical errors

Not sure if the following lines are grammaticaly correct. Please correct the errors for me. Thank you.

My boss gave a job that I am supposed to finish by Dec. 14, 2007. I am working on it everyday for several hours but I got stuck now. I need to access to a file but my access codes will not allow me to access to the file. I am waiting for my boss to come back from his vacation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: grammtical errors

My boss gave me a job.....
    I need access to a file but my access codes will not allow me into the file.
    I am waiting for my boss to come back from vacation.
    Last edited by oregeezer; 14-Dec-2007 at 18:34. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    Not sure if the following lines are grammaticaly correct. Please correct the errors for me. Thank you.

My boss gave a job that I am supposed to finish by Dec. 14, 2007. I am working on it everyday for several hours but I got stuck now. I need to access to a file but my access codes will not allow me to access to the file. I am waiting for my boss to come back from his vacation.
    My boss gave me a job that I was supposed to finish by Dec. 14, 2007. I have been working on it everyday for several hours but now I am stuck. I needed to access to a file but my access codes will not allow me to access to this file. As a result I must wait for my boss to come back from his vacation.

Except for the last line the actions are in the past so you need to have your verbs rooted there.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    My boss gave me a job that I was supposed to finish by Dec. 14, 2007. I have been working on it everyday for several hours but now I am stuck. I needed to access to a file but my access codes will not allow me to access to this file. As a result I must wait for my boss to come back from his vacation.

Except for the last line the actions are in the past so you need to have your verbs rooted there.
    Thanks for the correction but I would like a little bit more help to understand about placing the "to" before and after the word "access". Is it correct to write:

i) I need access to a file. OR I needed access to a file. Instead of writing I need to access to a file.

ii) My access codes will not allow me access to this file.
    OR My access codes will not allow me to access to this file.

Please explain it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    Thanks for the correction but I would like a little bit more help to understand about placing the "to" before and after the word "access". Is it correct to write:

i) I need access to a file. OR I needed access to a file. Instead of writing I need to access to a file.

ii) My access codes will not allow me access to this file.
    OR My access codes will not allow me to access to this file.

Please explain it. Thank you.
    Yes, you are correct to question this.

I believe the first "to" is necessary. "To access" is an infinitive acting as the object to "need". Yes, you can leave the "to" out but it would still be implied.

The second "to" is not required as "a file" or "this file" is the object in the infinitive phrase.

So your paragraph should be written:

My boss gave me a job that I was supposed to finish by Dec. 14, 2007. I have been working on it everyday for several hours but now I am stuck. I needed to access a file but my access codes will not allow me to access this file. As a result I must wait for my boss to come back from his vacation.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

You explained everything very well. Thank you very much for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Yes, you are correct to question this.

I believe the first "to" is necessary. "To access" is an infinitive acting as the object to "need". Yes, you can leave the "to" out but it would still be implied.
    Couldn't 'access' be a noun, Naamplao?

I needed food.

I need access to a file.