the snowman goeth

Hi there,

I've recently read an article in the Economist that talks about boarding schools in English and explains that this institution is already outdated and old-fashioned. It tells also an anecdote of a guy who built a snowman in his room and didn't melt because the room was very cold. At the end, the housemaster asked him to shovel it up. "The snowman goeth" is the title of the article and I don't get the meaning of this "goeth". I've checked it in the diccionary and internet with no success. Does anyone know the meaning of "goeth"?

Thanks

Re: the snowman goeth

Quote Originally Posted by silviasabater_2000 View Post
    Hi there,

I've recently read an article in the Economist that talks about boarding schools in English and explains that this institution is already outdated and old-fashioned. It tells also an anecdote of a guy who built a snowman in his room and didn't melt because the room was very cold. At the end, the housemaster asked him to shovel it up. "The snowman goeth" is the title of the article and I don't get the meaning of this "goeth". I've checked it in the diccionary and internet with no success. Does anyone know the meaning of "goeth"?

Thanks
    I've recently read an article in the Economist that talks about boarding schools in England and explains that this institution is already outdated and old-fashioned. It also relates an anecdote of a guy who built a snowman in his room. The snowman didn't melt because the room was very cold. In the end, the house master asked him to shovel it up. "The snowman goeth" is the title of the article and I don't get the meaning of this "goeth". I've checked it in the dictionary and internet with no success. Does anyone know the meaning of "goeth"?

"goeth" is a very old fashioned way of saying "goes"

Thank you for your help!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think he's making a The Iceman Cometh type of pun.