• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

as and when (continued)

Martin Hewings' ADVANCED GRAMMAR IN USE (2004 edition) CD ROM (unit 79)has a question as follows:
    Most of my colleagues were still working as I left.
    I filled the blank with 'when', but the given answer is 'as'. I don't know why I was wrong.

In my last post, I'm sorry Teia's answer didn't solve my question. In Raymond Murphy's ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE(1994 edition, unit110) there is this sentence:

'When I went to bed, Jane was still working.' This sentence would show that my sentence 'Most of my colleagues were still working when I left' is also correct, wouldn't it?

Could you help me? Thank you very much in advance.

Re: as and when (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Martin Hewings' ADVANCED GRAMMAR IN USE (2004 edition) CD ROM (unit 79)has a question as follows:
    Most of my colleagues were still working as I left.
    I filled the blank with 'when', but the given answer is 'as'. I don't know why I was wrong.

In my last post, I'm sorry Teia's answer didn't solve my question. In Raymond Murphy's ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE(1994 edition, unit110) there is this sentence:

'When I went to bed, Jane was still working.' This sentence would show that my sentence 'Most of my colleagues were still working when I left' is also correct, wouldn't it?

Could you help me? Thank you very much in advance.
    I don't think this book is correct on this point.

I found this reference on the internet that may explain the use of adverbial clauses of time in a clearer manner.

English Adverb Clauses - How to Use Adverb Clauses- Grammar for English ESL TEFL EFL ESOL

When using "while" and "as" the past continuous tense is used in the clause showing the the action is "occurring during that time."

When using "when" the simple past and simple present is used showing the action "at that moment".

So..... coming back to your question...

Most of my colleagues were still working when I left. This would be correct.
    Most of my colleagues were still working as I was leaving. This would be correct.

When I went to bed, Jane was still working.
    This would be correct.
    As I was going to bed, Jane was still working. This would be correct.

This link below discusses adverbial clauses in general and I have found their explanations quite good.

English Adverb Clauses - How to Use Adverb Clauses- Grammar for English ESL TEFL EFL ESOL

I hope this helps...