• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Post Welcome/no problem

If someone appreciates a help and in a polite way says thank you it is a custom to response to the person by saying "you welcome" or "You are most welcome". But sometimes people just say "no problem". Does "no problem" have same application as "you welcome"?
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Welcome/no problem

Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    If someone appreciates a help and in a polite way says thank you it is a custom to response to the person by saying "you're welcome" or "You are most welcome". But sometimes people just say "no problem". Does "no problem" have same application as "you welcome"?
    Thank you in advance.
    I would use "no problem" in response to a "thank you" when I helped someone physically or I went out of my way to help someone, for example - if I noticed someone struggling with a heavy load and I stopped what I was doing to help him.

I would use "you're welcome" if I was responding to a simple "thank you" for a normal polite action, for example - if someone asked me to pass the pepper at the dinner table.

I would use a "you are most welcome" when I received a very polite "thank you". Say I was a clerk at a store and someone wanted a particular service. I performed this service, perhaps a little better than normally expected. The customer says, "Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help!" Then I might blush and respond "You are most welcome."