up to u??

could u tell me please what this phrase meaning "i will make it up to u? thanks

Re: up to u??

Look at these example sentences:

'I'm really sorry I forgot your birthday yesterday. I'll make it up to you, I promise. Maybe we could go out for a nice meal tomorrow.'

'David and Lucy had a big argument yesterday. He bought her a big bunch of flowers to make it up to her.'

It means to do something nice to say sorry for something bad you've done.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Clare James View Post
    Look at these example sentences:

'I'm really sorry I forgot your birthday yesterday. I'll make it up to you, I promise. Maybe we could go out for a nice meal tomorrow.'

'David and Lucy had a big argument yesterday. He bought her a big bunch of flowers to make it up to her.These sentences suggest that David was to blame for the argument.

We can sometimes say 'make up with' when one wants to repair a previously damaged relationship. 'He bought her a bunch of flowers to make up with her. The last sentence doesn't say who was to blame for the bad feelings. It just means that "He" wants to end the bad feelings/relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by becks View Post
    could u tell me please what this phrase meaning "I will make it up to you? thanks
    Text messaging!.....grumble...grumble

This means that the person who is saying this is going to do something that you don't like. Perhaps it will even hurt you a little (physically or emotionally).

By this statement he/she is saying that they realize the hurt to you but don't worry because they will do something nice for you in the near future to compensate for the inconvenience at that moment.

thank u so much and i got another question when 2 people kissing u can say they make up??

Quote Originally Posted by becks View Post
    Thank you so much and I have another question. When two people are kissing, you can say they make up??
    You can - you can also say they are making out [making love] or making up [ had a quarrel and have got over it, so are friendly again]