1. Unregistered

Question Switch Jigger

Has anyone heard of being "switch jiggered"? I have heard the expression and think it means confusion caused by misplacement or disorder, but I can't find it in any reference.

Re: Switch Jigger

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Has anyone heard of being "switch jiggered"? I have heard the expression and think it means confusion caused by misplacement or disorder, but I can't find it in any reference.
    I believe that "jiggered" is British English. I have never heard this word used in North America.

Without context, it might mean that an electrical circuit switch is malfunctioning.

Is this from a film?

Naamplao, I didn't realize that "jiggered" was BE, but I've heard "I'll be switched" in the same sense. ("Switch" in the sense of using one to punish a child.)

In fact, it occurs in a popular song from the turn of the last century, "A Bicycle Built for Two." In the first verse, the boy asks the girl to marry him, but pleading poverty says that the couple will not leave the church in a carriage, but on the eponymous bicycle. ("You'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.") The young lady is not pleased at the prospect and refuses his proposal, replying, in part, "I'll be switched if I'll be hitched on a bicycle built for two!"

So, perhaps "switch jiggered" is an emphatic combination of the two?

[not a teacher]

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    Naamplao, I didn't realize that "jiggered" was BE, but I've heard "I'll be switched" in the same sense. ("Switch" in the sense of using one to punish a child.)

In fact, it occurs in a popular song from the turn of the last century, "A Bicycle Built for Two." In the first verse, the boy asks the girl to marry him, but pleading poverty says that the couple will not leave the church in a carriage, but on the eponymous bicycle. ("You'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.") The young lady is not pleased at the prospect and refuses his proposal, replying, in part, "I'll be switched if I'll be hitched on a bicycle built for two!"

So, perhaps "switch jiggered" is an emphatic combination of the two?

[not a teacher]
    We need "Unregistered" to give us some context.