• Post Thanks / Like

Phonemics for J

I am trying to find the symbol for the letter J and in JOKE. All I can find is J to be used for the pronunciation of Y, as in Yellow. Am I missing something obvious? Any help please. Thanks. Jane

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phonemics for J

Don't fret, it isn't obvious! And I can't get my computer to put the symbol in this posting.
    It's the letter "d" attached to whatever symbol is chosen for the sound of "s" in "pleasure, measure." The usual symbol looks like > with a backwards "c" under it.
    I hope someone else knows how to post this for you. If not, I hope you can take it from here.
    regards
    edward

This sound is usually written as
    Quote Originally Posted by chiosgirl View Post
    I am trying to find the symbol for the letter J and in JOKE. All I can find is J to be used for the pronunciation of Y, as in Yellow. Am I missing something obvious? Any help please. Thanks. Jane

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

With font set to "Lucida Sans Unicode", you can type this: /ʤ/. An easier way is to use the IPA Typewriter

b

• Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thank you. Luckily I can read and write Greek, and I am finding more and more that this helps me once I get the idea. I was just a bit stuck here, and to my mind J for y as in yellow doesnt really follow, but that is just me I guess. Thanks again. Jane

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Bob, I'd been looking for the IPA Typewriter.
    Chiosgirl, the symbol you were asking for in in the fourth row, sixth from the left.

regards
    edwards

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    With font set to "Lucida Sans Unicode", you can type this: /ʤ/. An easier way is to use the IPA Typewriter

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

The IPA symbol for ‘j’ as in ‘joke’ is /d¥/. The sound of "s" in "pleasure” & “measure" is the voiced affricate /¥/.