questions

Leading up to the 2004 U.S. Presidential election, Rice became the first National Security Advisor to campaign for an incumbent president.She stated that while: "Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with the actual attacks on America, Saddam Hussein's Iraq was a part of the Middle East that was festering and unstable, [and] was part of the circumstances that created the problem on September 11."

from wikipedia

my question is what does these blue words mean? does it mean that there has never been a National Security Advisor before Rice to campain for an incumbent president? and does "to campain for an incumbent president" means that Rice is helping the incumbent president to campain for the election by saying "...(about Saddam Hussein and September 11)" rather then she's going to the election herself?

I hate politics . but I still have to work on my term paper about Condoleezza Rice, why is it so difficult?? my English is poor, and now it's more poor because of these political language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: questions

Quote Originally Posted by chen View Post
    Leading up to the 2004 U.S. Presidential election, Rice became the first National Security Advisor to campaign for an incumbent president.She stated that while: "Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with the actual attacks on America, Saddam Hussein's Iraq was a part of the Middle East that was festering and unstable, [and] was part of the circumstances that created the problem on September 11."

Quote Originally Posted by chen View Post
    Does it mean that there has never been a National Security Advisor before Rice to campaign for an incumbent president?.
    Yes. When you campaign for an incumbent (sitting) president you try to help him get re-elected.

~R