• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

come away with

Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of 'come away with' in the following passage.

This house was overrun by Tiberium, and its dozen inhabitants infected due to a faulty shutter. But none of this is news to anyone who is paying attention. While the immediacy of it can be overwhelming, it is not what one comes away with when one is in Atlanta.

What does the phrase "it is not what one comes away with" mean.

What I came up with is as follows: after one has seen the horrible things done by Tiberium (it is a very dangerous poisonous substance) he/she can't stay indifferent. Is my understanding correct?

Re: come away with

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of 'come away with' in the following passage.

This house was overrun by Tiberium, and its dozen inhabitants infected due to a faulty shutter. But none of this is news to anyone who is paying attention. While the immediacy of it can be overwhelming, it is not what one comes away with when one is in Atlanta.

What does the phrase "it is not what one comes away with" mean.

What I came up with is as follows: after one has seen the horrible things done by Tiberium (it is a very dangerous poisonous substance) he/she can't stay indifferent. Is my understanding correct?
    "come away with" means left with a certain result.

I came away from the poker game with 200 bucks.

Leaving the discussion, I came away with the impression that nothing would get done.

Without more context, I can only suggest that it means, despite this mess and even though this is an awful thing, there are other things that leave an impression upon one who has been to, lived in, Atlanta.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: come away with

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    "come away with" means left with a certain result.

I came away from the poker game with 200 bucks.

Leaving the discussion, I came away with the impression that nothing would get done.

Without more context, I can only suggest that it means, despite this mess and even though this is an awful thing, there are other things that leave an impression upon one who has been to, lived in, Atlanta.
    Thank you very much, riverkid!