• Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

What's your name?

Hello,

I have this simple question.

When someone asks "what's your name?", do you answer John? John Smith? or Smith?

In other words do you give your surname? full name...?

Thank you

cp

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Re: What's your name?

i think it depends on who asks your name. I usually give my first name only. Only when they ask for my last name as well do I give it.

Except when in some commercial/business situation, where forms/computer entries are being made, it is unusual to be asked one's name.
    If meeting an individual informally, one or the other offers their FIRST name, and the other person responds with his. It is only if there is to be a continuance of the relationship that requires contact beforehand, or a show of good faith, that surnames and phone numbers etc might be exchanged.
    If someone does ask outright, I would give my first name only. If they asked for my surname, depending on the situation - eg pub - I would be wary as to why they are wanting to know...and so should you.
    In a semi-formal situation, such as a party, you might offer your name as "John...John Smith"

Is it also common to say "Smith...John Smith"?

peter

Quote Originally Posted by petertsui View Post
    Is it also common to say "Smith...John Smith"?
    Ah, a James Bond fan.

It's not common in my experience. I think it really is just one of Bond's little quirks.

Yes, I love the Bond films, as well as their theme songs. Well, it's also one of my tiny quirks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Talking Re: What's your name?

Quote Originally Posted by petertsui View Post
    Yes, I love the Bond films, as well as their theme songs. Well, it's also one of my tiny quirks.
    "I'm Tsui, Peter Tsui." (with the James bond theme song in the background)

That's exactly how I introduce myself, in formal situation, to a stranger I can also do it the other way around -- without too much difficulty, of course.

Constantinos, how is it done in Brussels? In Japan, you give your surname. If someone asks for your given name, then you should be suspicious. However, if you surname is a common one, like Suzuki, then you might have to give your given name for clarity (like Bond... James Bond -- except its done the other way around: Bond... Bond James).