Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #1

    Question Which sentence is correct?

    Hi teachers!
    Which sentence is correct?
    1- Which animals' left-over water is unclean ( not safe to drink or drinkable)?
    2- Of which animals left-over water is unclean?
    3- The left-over water of which animals is unclean?

    Or if there might be something esle better than them, please write.
    Best regards!
    Dawood


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #2

    Re: Which sentence is correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawoodusmani View Post
    Hi teachers!
    Which sentence is correct?
    1- Which animals' left-over water is unclean ( not safe to drink or drinkable)?
    2- Of which animals left-over water is unclean?
    3- The left-over water of which animals is unclean?

    Or if there might be something esle better than them, please write.
    Best regards!
    Dawood
    Hmmmmm....none of these sentences are completely correct as written. When you say "not safe to drink or drinkable" you mean by the animals....not humans, I assume.

    It is also not clear what "left-over" water means. Is this a zoo of some kind with drinking troughs for its animals and you want to know which troughs contain drinkable (for the animals) and which troughs should be emptied, cleaned and refilled with fresh water.

  2. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #3

    Question Re: Which sentence is correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Hmmmmm....none of these sentences are completely correct as written. When you say "not safe to drink or drinkable" you mean by the animals....not humans, I assume.

    It is also not clear what "left-over" water means. Is this a zoo of some kind with drinking troughs for its animals and you want to know which troughs contain drinkable (for the animals) and which troughs should be emptied, cleaned and refilled with fresh water.
    Left-over by animal. You're right. I want to say, in my question, wether the water from which an naimal like dog, lion etc. has drunk is clean for humans [to drink]? Do you get that now?
    Which animals' left-over water (i.e water left-over by animals) is clean (for humans)? Now which of my questions is grammatically correct please?
    Looking forward to the answer.
    Regards!
    Dawood


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #4

    Re: Which sentence is correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawoodusmani View Post
    Left-over by animal. You're right. I want to say, in my question, whether the water from which an animal like dog, lion etc. has drunk is clean for humans [to drink]? Do you get that now?
    Which animals' left-over water (i.e water left-over by animals) is clean (for humans)? Now which of my questions is grammatically correct please?
    Looking forward to the answer.
    Regards!
    Dawood
    It is sort of clear though I have trouble imagining what this sentence actually is trying to say. "Left-over water" is not a term we would use when we refer to drinking water...especially water that remained after an animal had used the water. We would consider none of this water to be drinkable by humans after it was used by animals.

    "Which" does not really refer to water. Let us say there where "troughs" of water from which animals could drink from then we could say:

    Which trough contains water that is fit for us to drink?

Similar Threads

  1. help correct my sentence
    By esophea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2010, 18:23
  2. Is this sentence correct?
    By snade17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2009, 00:12
  3. correct sentence
    By shaukat mahmood in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2006, 17:30
  4. Is the sentence correct?
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2006, 21:51
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •