• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

get input into decisions

Could anyone help me with the following in bold?

1. Get input into decisions that will be made later by others.

Does this mean "provide information to help others make decisions later."?

2. If we spend (just) 30% of our time in meetings and 30% is wasted, then this chapter can save managers up to 10% of their total headcount and their total time at work.

In the above, I can understand the expression "this chapter can save managers up to 10% of their total time at work," but I can't understand the expression "this chapter can save managers up to 10% of their total headcount." Headcount refers to the number of employees, isn't it? Then what does the sentence mean?

Thank you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: get input into decisions

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Could anyone help me with the following in bold?

1. Get input into decisions that will be made later by others.

Does this mean "provide information to help others make decisions later."?

It is not a particularly well written demand. I suppose you are being asked to gather information that will be useful later when a meeting of some group will make decisions on the issues that this information relates to.

So the "others" make decisions but they don't collect the information relating to those decisions. It is also not a polite demand.

I would probably say something like,

Please research the issues that will be the subject of a meeting to be held in the future. Your information will help the participants arrive at decisions on these issues.

2. If we spend (just) 30% of our time in meetings and 30% is wasted, then this chapter can save managers up to 10% of their total headcount and their total time at work.

This is a very poorly worded sentence. I don't see how this clause relates to "this chapter" unless it is its title,"If we spend (just) 30% of our time in meetings and 30% is wasted," .

In the above, I can understand the expression "this chapter can save managers up to 10% of their total time at work," but I can't understand the expression "this chapter can save managers up to 10% of their total headcount." Headcount refers to the number of employees, isn't it? Then what does the sentence mean?

I think what they are trying to say is that if the company personnel committed 30% less time going to meetings, then the productivity of those employees would increase by 10%. As a result they could reduce their staff by 10% and maintain the same productivity with a reduced staffing cost.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: get input into decisions

I see. It's been helpful.

Thank you for the kind explanation.