Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074

    participal or gerund

    The sentences:

    I myself wavered between a number of dreams when I was young: wishing to follow in th footsteps of Christ or Albert Schweitzer and go off to Africa to save the masses of starving poor there; wanting to become a great author and write novels that would teach people the meaning of life; and longing to travel around the world and explore exotic lands.

    About "wishing", "wanting", and "longing", are they participals or gerunds? IMO, they are all gerunds, but I'm not very confident...

  2. #2
    allei78 Guest

    Re: participal or gerund

    they are all gerunds. remember a verb + ing is considered as a noun if it is the subject of the verb, the object of the verb, or the object of the preposition.

    allei :wink:


    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    The sentences:

    I myself wavered between a number of dreams when I was young: wishing to follow in th footsteps of Christ or Albert Schweitzer and go off to Africa to save the masses of starving poor there; wanting to become a great author and write novels that would teach people the meaning of life; and longing to travel around the world and explore exotic lands.

    About "wishing", "wanting", and "longing", are they participals or gerunds? IMO, they are all gerunds, but I'm not very confident...

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147
    Their all gerunds there, IMO. I'd say they were dependent on the preposition 'between'.

  4. #4
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd say they were dependent on the preposition 'between'.
    So would I.

    tdol, if there were a comma instead of a colon before "wishing", do you think you can still easily understand it as a gerund?

    As far as I'm concerned, if it were a comma, I would be in great confusion.

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147
    It shouldn't be a comma there, but I suppose some might use one. This, however, would be due to ignorance; many British have little idea about punctuation.

  6. #6
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It shouldn't be a comma there, but I suppose some might use one. This, however, would be due to ignorance; many British have little idea about punctuation.
    Right. It shouldn't be a comma there. But suppose if it were a comma. Then do you think it's possible to take "wishing" as a participal? Or do you think whether it's a colon or a comma, "wishing" cannot be a participal?

  7. #7
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    tdol?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It shouldn't be a comma there, but I suppose some might use one. This, however, would be due to ignorance; many British have little idea about punctuation.
    Hello tdol,

    Where can I find "easy" :) comma rules

  9. #9
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147
    Try 'Mind the Stop'. I enjoyed the bestselling 'Eats, shoots and leaves', too.

  10. #10
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Try 'Mind the Stop'. I enjoyed the bestselling 'Eats, shoots and leaves', too.
    Is that an answer for my question, or for Ulli's?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •