can i ask somethin ?

the boy come home and the mother ask him :
    " hey, where have you been ?"
    " i have been from market"

could you correct those three sentences into the right sentence (grammar, spelling, etc) and how do natives usually say ? i mean are those commonly used by natives thx . . .
    uhmm, i dont know why, but some natives have a trouble to understand me when i say something that are not commonly used by them . . . is that right ? or is it bcoz of my pronunciation ?? Thx a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: can i ask somethin ?

Quote Originally Posted by kutu_suci View Post
    the boy come home and the mother ask him :
    " hey, where have you been ?"
    " i have been from market"
    If it's his mother you should say, The boy came home and his mother asked him, "Hey, where have you been?"
    "(I've been)(I have been) to the market.", the boy replied.
    could you correct those three sentences into the right sentence (grammar, spelling, etc) and how do natives usually say ? i mean are those commonly used by natives thx . . .
    uhmm, i dont know why, but some natives have a trouble to understand me when i say something that are not commonly used by them . . . is that right ? or is it bcoz of my pronunciation ?? Thx a lot

"If it's his mother you should say, The boy came home and his mother asked him" quote from 2006

uhm 2006 why we should past tense here ? and " i've been to the market a couple hours ago" <-- does it mean "i was at the market a couple hours ago" ??

can i use, "i had been to the market a couple hours ago" ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kutu_suci View Post
    "If it's his mother you should say, The boy came home and his mother asked him" quote from 2006

uhm 2006 why we should past tense here ? You should think about this question for a while. Then you should be able to answer it for yourself. and " i've been to the market a couple hours ago" <-- does it mean "i was at the market a couple hours ago" ?? yes

can i use, "i had been to the market a couple hours ago" ? I would say 'I was at the market.....

uhm 2006 why we should use past tense here ? You should think about this question for a while. Then you should be able to answer

hmm dont you use present tense if you telling something ?
    as far as i know, we use past tense to tell past stories
    and we use present to tell the fact, your thought, ideas, etc

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Of course it is a 'past story'. After all, the mother asked "...where have you been?"