inference

From the options(phrases) provided pertaining to a particular article, that comprises of conclusion, judgment,assumption and inference, how does one select an inference. I find it difficult to pick out an inference and an assumption as all the options are nearly the same.

Pls advise.

Re: inference

Quote Originally Posted by ranjitha View Post
    From the options(phrases) provided pertaining to a particular article, that comprises of conclusion, judgment,assumption and inference, how does one select an inference. I find it difficult to pick out an inference and an assumption as all the options are nearly the same.

Please advise.
    Welcome to the forums.

It is not clear what you want advice about. Is it the content of the sentences, or the grammar?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: inference

Hi ranjitha,

I see what you mean. You have to make next to impossible choice between four almost the same words.

I know, that

assumption = a statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn

conclusion = an intuitive assumption; a position or opinion or judgment reached after consideration; the proposition arrived at by logical reasoning

inference = the reasoning involved in drawing a conclusion as making a logical judgment on the basis of circumstantial evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation.

judgment = the act or process of judging; the formation of an opinion after consideration or deliberation.

But from the second hand I know that

assumption = belief = guess = inference

conclusion = assumption = deduction = inference

judgment = conclusion = belief = decision = illation

inference = assumption = conclusion = deduction = illation

Unfortunately I am not a NES, so I get in a difficult position like you in such a case.

My deep sympathy. You have to look for the effective help of a NES.

Regards.

V.