a few questions

I sometimes think that, as a controlling force in human affairs, motivation is pretty well shagged out by now. It hasn't got what it takes to motivate people any more." Sometimes I wonder if many of them read the above passage from Amis's Money and took it to heart. From Seven to Saw, in between and probably beyond, the motive-free thriller-horror movie has been a boon for morbid, sunlight-deprived would-be Hollywood players who are more at home expending their energies on ways to kill people than on reasons for doing so.

controlling force in human affairs
    shagged out
    beyond-> in this sentence beyond means better?
    on ways to kill people than on reasons for doing so.<= it doesnt make sense to me at all.

the whole sentences are difficult for me to translate and I have looked up the words in a dictionary and stilll I am lost.
    is there anyone who can make me understood?

thank you so much for your concern.

Re: a few questions

There is always some reason behind whatever we do - something motivates, drives us. In 'revenge' films, the whole movie might be about a man who tracks down and exacts/takes revenge on the hijackers who shot his wife and children. That's his motivation. Think about any murder mystery films you have seen, and think about why the murder was committed - what the murderer's motivation was.

I sometimes think that motivation as a driving force in human behaviour has lost its 'drive'. Like a man who has just had sex and just wants to roll over and go to sleep, motivation is all pooped out/exhausted/run out of steam and it, motivation, just hasn't got what it takes to 'motivate' people any more.

Sometimes I wonder if many of them (I assume 'them' refers to the screenwriters who write the horror/slasher/torture movies) read the above passage from Amis's Money and took it to heart (that is, they agreed that their villians didn't need to have any profound or even viable reason for their crimes). From (the movie) "Seven" (1995) to "Saw" (2004), all the movies written and released in between those years, and probably from now on into the future, the motive-free thriller-horror movie has been a boon/a godsend/blessing in the sense of a tremendous advantage) for morbid, sunlight-deprived would-be Hollywood players who are more at home expending their energies on interesting and scary and original ways to kill people without bothering about coming up with any sensible viable reason why they are committing these crimes.
    Last edited by David L.; 20-Dec-2007 at 11:46.

thank you so much for ur time to help. u are such a great teacher!
    now it mostly makes sense to me.

ummmm but still I am a little bit lost......

for morbid, sunlight-deprived would-be hollywood players who are expending their energies on ways to kill people more than on reasons for doing so<-
    would-be hollywood players= wanna-be hollywood actors? right?
    and it means...
    would-be hollywood players who are morbid, sun deprived are expending their energies on way to kill people more than on reasons for doing so

am I right?

Usually, a 'player' does refer to an actor. But in Hollywood, a 'player' is someone who wants to break into and become a 'somebody' in the Hollywood movie-making scene, whether as producer, director or screenwriter..or even as an actor. In this passage, I think he is most likely referring to writers and directors in particular, since writers like Wes Craven are known for their 'horror' films, and some directors are mainly known for their 'slasher-type' movies.
    would-be hollywood players who are morbid, sun-deprived are expending their energies on ways to kill people more than on reasons for doing so.

am I right?
    Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Usually, a 'player' does refer to an actor. But in Hollywood, a 'player' is someone who wants to break into and become a 'somebody' in the Hollywood movie-making scene, whether as producer, director or screenwriter..or even as an actor. In this passage, I think he is most likely referring to writers and directors in particular, since writers like Wes Craven are known for their 'horror' films, and some directors are mainly known for their 'slasher-type' movies.
    would-be hollywood players who are morbid, sun-deprived are expending their energies on ways to kill people more than on reasons for doing so.

am I right?
    Spot on!

oh..... thanks for the lucid explanatoin! that is so helpful!