Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

questions

it also boasts an ingeniously twisted story line that provides its central villain with a juicy motive that resonates deeper and deeper as the film goes on, and invites—and then rewards!—multiple viewings

= it contains an ingeniously twisted story line that provides its main villain with a interesting motive that resonates deeper and deeper as the film goes on, and invites and then rewards! I have seen in many times.

boast=contain,have
    twisted= screwd
    central=main
    juicy= in my understanding it means interesting?
    resonates-> this verb makes me lost in translation.
    multiple viewings= seen it many times.

can anyone make me more understood?

Re: questions

Quote Originally Posted by googlegoogle View Post
    it also boasts an ingeniously twisted story line that provides its central villain with a juicy motive that resonates deeper and deeper as the film goes on, and invites—and then rewards!—multiple viewings

= it contains an ingeniously twisted story line that provides its main villain with a interesting motive that resonates deeper and deeper as the film goes on, and invites and then rewards repeated viewing of the film.

boast=contain,have
    twisted= screwd More like a twisting road that changes direction frequently.
    central=main
    juicy= in my understanding it means interesting?
    resonates-> this verb makes me lost in translation.
    multiple viewings= seen it many times.

can anyone make me more understood?
    You have got it about right. The end bit is saying that you will always find something more within the story each time you see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    You have got it about right. The end bit is saying that you will always find something more within the story each time you see the film.

thanks for ur help. but I still dont understand what resonates mean in this situation.

and to be confirmed, multiple viewing= whenever you see movies , you find another poinsts of viewings?

resonates deeper and deeper as the film goes on

In a concert hall, when the sound of the voice or orchestra hits the walls and ceiling, it is not absorbed but reflected back into the auditorium - the sound doesn't just stop, but continues like a very slight echo around the auditorium. This gives a concert hall that richness of sound it must have.
    The sound resonates.

When we use the word figuratively, we mean that something evokes or suggests images, memories and emotions in the person, so that this 'something' (in your post, the 'juicy motive') really has an impact on us. Obviously, the motive behind the killings in this movie is not just another, oh yes, one more crazy deranged psychopath killing because he seems to like it, but that there is something about this villian and his motive that we can relate to ourselves. It really gets us thinking.

And when we see the movie a second time, or a third - multiple viewings - each time, we see something that we didn't see, or realize, or grasp the first time we saw the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    resonates deeper and deeper as the film goes on

In a concert hall, when the sound of the voice or orchestra hits the walls and ceiling, it is not absorbed but reflected back into the auditorium - the sound doesn't just stop, but continues like a very slight echo around the auditorium. This gives a concert hall that richness of sound it must have.
    The sound resonates.

When we use the word figuratively, we mean that something evokes or suggests images, memories and emotions in the person, so that this 'something' (in your post, the 'juicy motive') really has an impact on us. Obviously, the motive behind the killings in this movie is not just another, oh yes, one more crazy deranged psychopath killing because he seems to like it, but that there is something about this villian and his motive that we can relate to ourselves. It really gets us thinking.

And when we see the movie a second time, or a third - multiple viewings - each time, we see something that we didn't see, or realize, or grasp the first time we saw the movie.

WOW I am deeply impressed. Thanks. Your explanation really helps!
    but there is still a question ( how silly I am!)
    about multipul viewings. I think I totally understand what it means in this paragraph, with wondering if I could use the collagated terms in another situation such as -> I see Love actually(a movie) in multipule viewings for learning english. in this case it means I see the movie several times.? without realizing and grasping another point of view?

"multiple viewings' is film critic lingo = how film critics talk and write.
    Joe Public would say, "over and over" or "again and again".
    "I watch Love Actually over and over because it helps me learn English."
    "It's such a great movie, I could watch it again and again."
    "I've seen that movie many times, and each time I enjoy it as much as the first."
    Last edited by David L.; 21-Dec-2007 at 09:07.

thanks so much both of you!!!

I am totally understood now!

No - you fully understand now.
    "I am fully understood now" means you have been trying to get some point across which the listeners/readers have not been able to grasp/comprehend, but that perhaps you have explained it in a different way, so that we have finally understood what you were saying. You might then say, it is a relief to know that I am finally understood.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    No - you fully understand now.
    "I am fully understood now" means you have been trying to get some point across which the listeners/readers have not been able to grasp/comprehend, but that perhaps you have explained it in a different way, so that we have finally understood what you were saying. You might then say, it is a relief to know that I am finally understood.

I got it! thanks for the tip!
    I fully understand now!

I totally understand now and I fully can understand

the usuage of totally and can is wrong in this situation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast