Thumbs up Prepositions

Hello!

I'd like to make a question about prepositions:

Are there situations where one or more prepositions are correct?

For example: "He arrived at the airport. It was on a rainy day". This preposition on couldn't be substituted by in, because "a rainy day" is a condition, right?

I have one more example to clarify my doubt: "They were in a small town, in Texas, on a hot day".

I'll be waiting. Thank you very much !!!

Vivian Azem Sekino

Re: Prepositions

Quote Originally Posted by visekino View Post
    For example: "He arrived at the airport. It was on a rainy day". This preposition on couldn't be substituted by in, because "a rainy day" is a condition, right?
    Interesting. I've never heard that explanation before. We usually use "on" when talking about days: "on Monday", "on 4th October 1972", "on Christmas Eve".

But there are some cases where you can use a different preposition and not change the meaning of the sentence. For example:

You can say "on the weekend" or "at the weekend". "On" is usually heard in America, but the British normally say "at".

You can say "quarter past four" (British English) or "quarter after four" (American English).

When talking about small villages, you can say "at" instead of "in": "There's a nice café at Little Taddlecombe" or "...in Little Taddlecombe." This doesn't work for larger towns and cities: "I know a wonderful restaurant in London."

So, yes, there are situations where a different preposition might be correct.