• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Rhythm for sentences with abbreviations

Having written something, I read the writing aloud to check the rhythm; this may give rise to changing words, their order or even paraphrasing the whole sentence. But how should I read the sentence that contains an abbreviation? I suppose some will read an abbreviation as the full name it abbreviates, and others will read it as it stands. When it's an acronym, most will read it as it stands, I think.

What do you think, how should I check the rhythm with abbreviations and acronyms? Should I check it in both versions? What do you do in such instances?

Many thanks,
    Nyggus

Re: Rhythm for sentences with abbreviations

Hi, Nyggus - long time no see.

When reading aloud something that has an abbreviation, I normally would say the full word, unless there is a recognised alternative. For instance, I would say "BBC", and not British Broadcasting Corporation, and "ICI" and not Imperial Chemical Industries. But "etc" I would pronounce "etcetera".

Do you have a particular sentence that is giving you trouble?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Hi, Nyggus - long time no see.
    Yep, overloaded with work, but still learning!

When reading aloud something that has an abbreviation, I normally would say the full word, unless there is a recognised alternative. For instance, I would say "BBC", and not British Broadcasting Corporation, and "ICI" and not Imperial Chemical Industries. But "etc" I would pronounce "etcetera".

Do you have a particular sentence that is giving you trouble?
    No particular sentence in mind. Of course those commonly known abbreviations are not a problem, all would say BBC or AIDS, but what if I create a new abbreviation, just for the use in this piece of writing, for example for some procedure with a long name that I do not want to repeat over and over in the piece? This abbreviation is new and no one knows it; consider the following (the construction is taken from a real paper, though the contents is fully changed):
    "Smith and Johnson's (1990) procedure--hereafter SJ procedure--aims to do something interesting no other procedure is able to. So this is the SJ procedure that we should be included in the curriculum."
    OR:
    "Smith and Johnson (1990) proposed a procedure called Procedure-for-Fun, hereafter PF. The PF can be used when one is sick of everything and needs fun."

How about these two?

Thanks, Anglika!
    Nyggus

Because the abbreviations have been identified previously, I would read them as they stand = PF // SJ procedure.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Because the abbreviations have been identified previously, I would read them as they stand = PF // SJ procedure.
    OK, clear as sun; I will do the same. Thanks, Anglika, once more.

Nyggus