• Post Thanks / Like

a few guestions.

The premiere of Shrek 2 delivered a blast of sucrose-enriched entertainment at Cannes and put a spring in the step of the Croisette flneurs, many of whom wore the promotional ogre ears given away by the skipload outside.

deliver=bring in the sentence above?
    a blast of sucrose-enriched entertainment?
    put a spring in the step of the Croisette fluneurs? <-how could we put something like weather ? and what does that "step mean in this sentence"?
    skipload?

the grammar above in the red sentence, that does make sense but come strange to me. I have analised it as below

People wears the promotional orge ears and they give many of them(the promotional ogre ears) away by the skipload outside.

my questions are

Whom indicate that people who wears the promotional orge ears or just the promotional orge ears themselves?

and the sentense above is(has?) correct grammar?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a few guestions.

Quote Originally Posted by googlegoogle View Post
    The premiere of Shrek 2 delivered a blast of sucrose-enriched entertainment at Cannes and put a spring in the step of the Croisette flneurs, many of whom wore the promotional ogre ears given away by the skipload outside.

deliver=bring in the sentence above? More like "provides"
    a blast of sucrose-enriched entertainment? The entertainment is terribly sweet [harmless and undemanding and suitable for children]
    put a spring in the step of the Croisette fluneurs? <-how could we put something like weather ? and what does that "step mean in this sentence"? Put a spring in your step" = spring here is like a spring - bouncy
    skipload? Skips are those big metal containers for rubbish that builders use.

the grammar above in the red sentence, that does make sense but come strange to me. I have analysed it as below

People wears the promotional ogre ears and they give many of them(the promotional ogre ears) away by the skipload outside.

my questions are

Does "Whom" indicate the people who wear the promotional ogre ears or just the promotional ogre ears themselves?
    "Whom" = people.

If it had been the ogre ears, it would have been "which".

and does the sentence above is(has?)have correct grammar?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a few guestions.

The premiere of Shrek 2 delivered a blast (literally: struck hard, figuratively: gave a sudden and unexpected blow of something nice and well liked) of sucrose-enriched entertainment (sucrose is natural sugar contained in some plants; here the phrase probably means something that people liked and were amused by) at Cannes and put a spring (nothing to do with the weather. A spring is a circularly twisted length of metal that is used to absorb vibrations, like those some bed mattresses have in them) in the step (put a spring in the step means it caused them to walk as if they had springs under their shoes, to move around jumping) of the Croisette flaneurs (flaneurs is French for loiterers, people hanging around, like those people in and outside cinemas in Cannes, waiting for a chance to see a few celebrities), many of whom wore the promotional (meant to advertise a product) ogre ears given away by the skipload (in large amounts or numbers. A skip is a large open oblong metal container for building or garden waste, something like a huge dustbin. A skipload is all the waste a skip can hold) outside.

In a few words, the meaning of the above text is:
    "The premiere of Shrek 2 provided people hanging around at Croisette at the Cannes film festival with some unexpected and amusing entertainment that caused them to (want to) jump around. Many of those people were wearing those large promotional ogre ears that were handed out in large numbers outside"

Or at least that's what I make of it...
    Last edited by aggelos; 23-Dec-2007 at 12:36.