Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. goingtocalifornia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 154
    #1

    do it, please

    I want to leave a massage on a table for a colleague for the following day. I want to be polite, don’t want to order. Should I use “please” at the beginning or at the and of the massage?

  2. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,987
    #2

    Re: do it, please

    Please at the beginning is polite and would rarely be taken as an order.
    e.g. "Please can you file these reports".
    Mind you, that only applies if you leave a message rather than a massage!

  3. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,843
    #3

    Re: do it, please

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    Please at the beginning is polite and would rarely be taken as an order.
    e.g. "Please can you file these reports".
    Mind you, that only applies if you leave a message rather than a massage!
    Holiday greetings, Buggles!

    Why give the individual an opportunity to say "no"? ("Please can you file these reports".) I suggest the more direct approach: "Please file these reports." It doesn't hurt to 'massage' the feelings of your co-workers when you leave a 'message'!

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

  4. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,987
    #4

    Re: do it, please

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Holiday greetings, Buggles!

    Why give the individual an opportunity to say "no"? ("Please can you file these reports".) I suggest the more direct approach: "Please file these reports." It doesn't hurt to 'massage' the feelings of your co-workers when you leave a 'message'!

    Cheers,
    Amigos4
    Greetings returned, Amigos4.

    Point taken, but we English like to give our co-workers the opportunity to feel they are choosing to accede to our requests.

    Enjoy your Christmas,

    Buggles

  5. goingtocalifornia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 154
    #5

    Re: do it, please

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    Greetings returned, Amigos4.

    we English like to give our co-workers the opportunity to feel they are choosing to accede to our requests.
    Thanks for the answers :) ,


    I’m not English, but all my subordinates are, hence my fear for making faux pas. Asking people to do something is a hard task. You never know when you hurt someone accidentally.
    Better be prepared and keep brushing on the language in all possible ways.
    I think it’s common in many countries.

    Greetings

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •