• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

What is the difference?

"If you are a citizen who was absent from Mainland China during (your), (the), (his/her) specified call up period under the so-and-so exercise (i.e. a holder of a Chinese ID card issued before 05 March 2006 and who was born in or before 1967, in 1980 - 1995, or in 1999 - 2007), you should..."

Which determiner is more appropriate in the above sentence? And why?
    Thank you.

Re: What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepurple View Post
    "If you are a citizen who was absent from Mainland China during (your), (the), (his/her) specified call up period under the so-and-so exercise (i.e. a holder of a Chinese ID card issued before 05 March 2006 and who was born in or before 1967, in 1980 - 1995, or in 1999 - 2007), you should..."

Which determiner is more appropriate in the above sentence? And why?
    Thank you.

The answer is in the sentence - look at the logic.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

The answer is in the sentence - look at the logic.
    But how about we split the sentence into two as follows:

(i) If you are a citizen (who)
    (ii) A citizen (one of the citizens) who was absent from Mainland China during (his/her) or ("the" -since the date is defined in the brackets as "a holder of a Chinese ID card issued before 05 March 2006 and who was born in or before 1967, in 1980 - 1995, or in 1999 - 2007".) specified call up period under the ...

Such as it may be, was it more logical to use (his/her) or (the) rather than "your" in the above sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepurple View Post
    But how about we split the sentence into two as follows:

(i) If you are a citizen (who)
    (ii) A citizen (one of the citizens) who was absent from Mainland China during (his/her) or ("the" -since the date is defined in the brackets as "a holder of a Chinese ID card issued before 05 March 2006 and who was born in or before 1967, in 1980 - 1995, or in 1999 - 2007".) specified call up period under the ...

Such as it may be, was it more logical to use (his/her) or (the) rather than "your" in the above sentence?
    I do not see that you can split the sentence in this way. As it is, it is addressed to "you" and logic requires the pronouns to be connected.

The entire thing can be rewritten to be abstract and therefore avoid pronouns:

"Any citizen who was absent from Mainland China during (the) specified call up period under the so-and-so exercise (i.e. a holder of a Chinese ID card issued before 05 March 2006 who was born in or before 1967, in 1980 - 1995, or in 1999 - 2007), should..."