• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

measures/scrap

Please help me understand the following in bold.

1. A month after I started a new job in operations I got my first budget report: a 30-page analysis of my area of responsibility. I had no idea what it meant. I had measures for spend on stationery, labor, scrap, petrol, laundry, and anything else you can imagine....... I discovered that nearly all of my discretionary spend was scrap or labor........... I asked finance to give me a one-page report showing: * scrap by product and line. * overtime.

In the above, what is scrap cost or scrap spend?

2. Avoid techno-micremanagement---think before you call: Will getting involved make control revert to you? Is this what you want?

Thank you.

Re: measures/scrap

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Please help me understand the following in bold.

1. A month after I started a new job in operations I got my first budget report: a 30-page analysis of my area of responsibility. I had no idea what it meant. I had measures for spend on stationery, labor, scrap, petrol, laundry, and anything else you can imagine....... I discovered that nearly all of my discretionary spend was scrap or labor........... I asked finance to give me a one-page report showing: * scrap by product and line. * overtime.

In the above, what is scrap cost or scrap spend?

2. Avoid techno-micremanagement---think before you call: Will getting involved make control revert to you? Is this what you want?

Thank you.
    #1 Difficult to be absolutely sure without knowing more about the company and what it does, but "scrap by product and line" implies materials or items that are scrapped [thrown away/disposed of because faulty]. So there is some kind of budgetary allowance for items being scrapped.

#2 If you become too involved, will you find that you are having to take control again of something you had managed to pass on to someone else?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I see. Thank you.

And you seem to have forgotten to explain the part "I had measures for spend....." How should I understand it?

"budgetary allowance"