Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #1

    cue 1, cue 2

    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of 'ready' and 'cue' used as follows:

    In the center of the room, a holo was running. The new press secretary for GDI, whose name Penny suddenly found she couldn't remember, was standing at a podium. Penny walked over to her director, Anh DiFilippo. "Hi boss," Anh said, "fun day, huh? Ready 2," she added to her comm.

    Several reporters were trying to get Boyle's attention on the holo, and Anh shook off her shock and said, "Cue 2," which changed the view to the other reporters.

    Anh snapped her fingers and said, "Cue 1," and the holo reverted to the podium, which was now empty.

    "Cue William," Anh said, and the holo went back to the William Frank.

    What do these commands mean?

    My guesses are:
    'Ready 2' means 'prepare 2 cameras'
    'Cue 1 or 2' means make camera 1 or 2 current, i.e. to show what these cameras are recording.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #2

    Re: cue 1, cue 2

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of 'ready' and 'cue' used as follows:

    In the center of the room, a holo was running. The new press secretary for GDI, whose name Penny suddenly found she couldn't remember, was standing at a podium. Penny walked over to her director, Anh DiFilippo. "Hi boss," Anh said, "fun day, huh? Ready 2," she added to her comm.

    Several reporters were trying to get Boyle's attention on the holo, and Anh shook off her shock and said, "Cue 2," which changed the view to the other reporters.

    Anh snapped her fingers and said, "Cue 1," and the holo reverted to the podium, which was now empty.

    "Cue William," Anh said, and the holo went back to the William Frank.

    What do these commands mean?

    My guesses are:
    'Ready 2' means 'prepare 2 cameras'
    'Cue 1 or 2' means make camera 1 or 2 current, i.e. to show what these cameras are recording.
    My guesses are;

    'Ready 2' means "Are you ready, Camera 2?
    'Cue 1 means, "Number 1, be ready to go live or start filming".

    I'll suggest that the next command would be "Action 1".

    Happy Holidays, KPLNO!!!!!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #3

    Re: cue 1, cue 2

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    My guesses are;

    'Ready 2' means "Are you ready, Camera 2?
    'Cue 1 means, "Number 1, be ready to go live or start filming".

    I'll suggest that the next command would be "Action 1".

    Happy Holidays, KPLNO!!!!!
    Thank you very much, riverkid and Happy Holidays too!!!


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #4

    Re: cue 1, cue 2

    If you've ever worked in a TV studio, there are usually two or more cameras covering the action. These cameras may not remain steady covering just one spot, but move in for a close-up of one person, out for a long-shot of several people at once etc. However, when they do move, they also have to re-focus, so while they are moving and checking that they are in focus, the coverage from another camera is used. This process, of changing back and forth among cameras, uses the two words, Ready, and Cue, which the camera operators hear in their headphones. The director has a bank of monitors (a set of TV screens), showing him all his possible shots, each one coming from a different one of the cameras, and another screen showing him what is going out to the TV audience (if this is a live production), or to the Video Recording Machine.

    "Ready Camera 1" alerts the camera operator on camera one not to move/look for another better shot he might be able to get of the scene, as the director will be taking the shot currently coming from his camera next. At the exact moment of change-over to that camera, the director will say, Cue Camera 1. Then he will scan his monitors looking at the shots coming in from the various cameras, decide on which of these he will have next, and then says, Ready Camera 3, again meaning, freeze, don't move camera position, don't alter focus, I'm coming to you next. Then, Cue Camera 3.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 732
    #5

    Re: cue 1, cue 2

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    If you've ever worked in a TV studio, there are usually two or more cameras covering the action. These cameras may not remain steady covering just one spot, but move in for a close-up of one person, out for a long-shot of several people at once etc. However, when they do move, they also have to re-focus, so while they are moving and checking that they are in focus, the coverage from another camera is used. This process, of changing back and forth among cameras, uses the two words, Ready, and Cue, which the camera operators hear in their headphones. The director has a bank of monitors (a set of TV screens), showing him all his possible shots, each one coming from a different one of the cameras, and another screen showing him what is going out to the TV audience (if this is a live production), or to the Video Recording Machine.

    "Ready Camera 1" alerts the camera operator on camera one not to move/look for another better shot he might be able to get of the scene, as the director will be taking the shot currently coming from his camera next. At the exact moment of change-over to that camera, the director will say, Cue Camera 1. Then he will scan his monitors looking at the shots coming in from the various cameras, decide on which of these he will have next, and then says, Ready Camera 3, again meaning, freeze, don't move camera position, don't alter focus, I'm coming to you next. Then, Cue Camera 3.
    Thank you very much, David L. for your detailed explanation!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •