Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    talk about personal matters

    I don't want to talk about my personal matters to someone I'm not familiar with.



    I wonder if "private matters/things" and "personal things/stuff" are all interchangeabove with "personal matters" and identical in meaning. YOur advices, thanks.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: talk about personal matters

    Private and personal are interchangeable. I don't think things is interchangeable with matters, and stuff is slangy (usable if talking to close friends).

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Smile Re: talk about personal matters

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Private and personal are interchangeable. I don't think things is interchangeable with matters, and stuff is slangy (usable if talking to close friends).
    Thanks, Anglika.

    But what are the differences between things and matters in the base sentence?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: talk about personal matters

    It is a subtle difference - you could add to your alternatives "affairs", which would be closer to "matters" than to "things". "Personal things" is a vague term which could mean almost anything, whereas "personal matters" or "personal affairs" is more clearly what affects you emotionally, psychologically and/or financially.

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: talk about personal matters

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is a subtle difference - you could add to your alternatives "affairs", which would be closer to "matters" than to "things". "Personal things" is a vague term which could mean almost anything, whereas "personal matters" or "personal affairs" is more clearly what affects you emotionally, psychologically and/or financially.
    Thanks, Anglika, for the subtle analysis.

    Gotcha.

  4. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 47,735
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: talk about personal matters

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Anglika, for the subtle analysis.

    Gotcha.
    Angli, nice use of the word 'gotcha'! I see that you remember it from a previous discussion in this Forum! Bravo, mi amigo!

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

  5. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: talk about personal matters

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Angli, nice use of the word 'gotcha'! I see that you remember it from a previous discussion in this Forum! Bravo, mi amigo!

    Cheers,
    Amigos4
    Thanks, Amigos4.

    How kind you are to encourage me all the time!
    Good luck to you, mi amigo!

Similar Threads

  1. we're talking, we're going to talk, we'll talk
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2007, 04:40
  2. even talk
    By Itasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2005, 13:25
  3. have a small talk with -- OR have small talk with --
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2005, 11:16
  4. five people to talk to
    By azz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2005, 22:02
  5. our md want to talk to you
    By nalinisree in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2003, 20:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •