• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

bad meat

Hi guys, by what another word would you describe a bad meat that is already off - stinky. The reason why I'm asking is the other day I ate Chinese food the meat of which was really of bad smell and wanted to describe the reality to other people...

Other words: Which adjective do you usually associate with bad food (with regard with stinky and getting bad rotten smell) - can I say "off", "gone" or getting putrid??

thank you

Re: bad meat

Sounds like the meat was tainted.

regards
    edward

Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post
    Hi guys, by what another word would you describe a bad meat that is already off - stinky. The reason why I'm asking is the other day I ate Chinese food the meat of which was really of bad smell and wanted to describe the reality to other people...

Other words: Which adjective do you usually associate with bad food (with regard with stinky and getting bad rotten smell) - can I say "off", "gone" or getting putrid??

thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post

thank you
    Nasty smelling meat is said to be 'rancid'. Rancid meat is caused by the decomposition of fats or oils.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

No--only fat or butter can go rancid. Meat can be rotten, putrid or tainted.

From now on I expect you to address me as "O mighty fountain of knowledge of word usage and grammar."

humbly
    edward

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Nasty smelling meat is said to be 'rancid'. Rancid meat is caused by the decomposition of fats or oils.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Oooh---putrid is a pretty strong word. For "putrid" I would almost expect to see maggots clinging to your chopsticks. I agree though, rancid is just for fats.

Especially if I were dining with others and didn't want to upset their digestions, I think I would say the meat tasted "as though it were starting to spoil."

There's the British expression (isn't there?) "gone off," but maybe that's just for dairy, like eggs or milk? Canst thou enlighten me, O mighty fountain?

[not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi jirikoo,

I know the following adjectives for bad meat:

tainted
    gamy
    rancid (there is a lot of fat in the meat, aren't there?)
    putrid
    rotten
    decaying
    musty
    stinking (there is oil in the meat, isn't there?)
    reeking (as above)
    foul ("Because of its oil content, the meat tastes foul and rancid and causes severe diarrhea when eaten")

stuffy, foul, frowsy, vitiated (for eggs)
    bad, addled, rotten (for fish)

Happy New Year.

Regards.

V.

Verily and forsooth.

With modern food storage, it's rare to find something that seriously advanced beyond its best-before date. That's why we're not agreeing right away.

I'd save "putrid" for meat that has started to move again on its own. I think "tainted" is the correct word for meat that is obviously past its prime. To be polite (never a bad idea), I'd say "The meat is starting to go bad."

In my mind, the only word that applies to bad eggs is "rotten", and for milk I'd say "gone off" or more likely, "sour" or "gone sour". Butter or cooking oil goes "rancid."

I hope this thread will not put anyone off their holiday meals. Enjoy your untainted meat, and fresh milk, butter and eggs.
    edward

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    Oooh---putrid is a pretty strong word. For "putrid" I would almost expect to see maggots clinging to your chopsticks. I agree though, rancid is just for fats.

Especially if I were dining with others and didn't want to upset their digestions, I think I would say the meat tasted "as though it were starting to spoil."

There's the British expression (isn't there?) "gone off," but maybe that's just for dairy, like eggs or milk? Canst thou enlighten me, O mighty fountain?

[not a teacher]
    Last edited by baqarah131; 31-Dec-2007 at 12:06. Reason: punctuation

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    No--only fat or butter can go rancid. Meat can be rotten, putrid or tainted.

From now on I expect you to address me as "O mighty fountain of knowledge of word usage and grammar."

humbly
    edward
    Not quite so fast, my Mighty Fountain of Knowledge of Word Usage and Grammar! The following article was recently reported by the BBC. (And, we all know that the BBC never makes a mistake! )

Rancid meat supplied to top London hotels

My contention remains firm: meat can be rancid!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

There do seem to be quite a few examples of the phrase "rancid meat" on the internets, not counting examples from sites like Urban Dictionary (which I'm not sure have anything to do with food), but I still would not choose this word to describe spoiled meat, no matter what the BBC (or even Webster's, which simply defines the word as "having a bad smell") may say.

Here's a Wikipedia entry describing the process of rancidification, a decomposition process specific to fats and oils. Rancid oil, or any other very oily food (like chips, which can also go rancid) has a distinctive, unpleasant odor, but nothing like the bacteria love fest you get a whiff of with rotten meat.

I must now return to cooking the delectable morsels for tonight's guests. Suddenly, I have the urge to become a vegetarian.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    There do seem to be quite a few examples of the phrase "rancid meat" on the internets, not counting examples from sites like Urban Dictionary (which I'm not sure have anything to do with food), but I still would not choose this word to describe spoiled meat, no matter what the BBC (or even Webster's, which simply defines the word as "having a bad smell") may say.

Here's a Wikipedia entry describing the process of rancidification, a decomposition process specific to fats and oils. Rancid oil, or any other very oily food (like chips, which can also go rancid) has a distinctive, unpleasant odor, but nothing like the bacteria love fest you get a whiff of with rotten meat.

I must now return to cooking the delectable morsels for tonight's guests. Suddenly, I have the urge to become a vegetarian.
    I finally figured it out! 'Delmobile' is your username because your first name is Del (probably short for Delphinia!!!) and you live in Mobile (probably a city where rancid meat does not exist!!!). And all this time I thought you were a soccer mom who drove her Delmobile from one activity to another!

Wouldn't it be great if you lived in Chocolocco, Alabama? Then your username could be... Delchocolocco Now, that would definitely be a sweet name to have!!!

Best wishes for a happy and appetizing party this evening!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast