A question about JL's what life means to me

"In short, as I accepted the rising of the sun, I accepted that up above me was all that was fine and noble and gracious, all that gave decency and dignity to life,all that made life worth living and that remunerated one for his travail and misery."

this is from Jack London's what life means to me, I don't understand the first part:"as I accepted the rising of the sun, I accepted ..." what does 'accept' mean here and what's the relatonship between the rising of the sun and the latter part?

thank u!!

Re: A question about JL's what life means to me

Quote Originally Posted by chen View Post
    "In short, as I accepted the rising of the sun, I accepted that up above me was all that was fine and noble and gracious, all that gave decency and dignity to life,all that made life worth living and that remunerated one for his travail and misery."

this is from Jack London's "What Life Means to Me". I don't understand the first part:"as I accepted the rising of the sun, I accepted ..." what does 'accept' mean here and what's the relatonship between the rising of the sun and the latter part?

thank u!!

The sun rises every day of the year. It is taken for granted that it will rise.

London is saying that just as he takes it for granted that the sun rises, he also takes it for granted that there is something above him [spiritually/metaphorically] which gives purpose to life. He is drawing a comparison of accepting something without questioning it.