Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2005
    • Posts: 132
    #1

    What's the difference in nuance?

    Dear native speakers,

    Please help me clear out what the difference in nuance is between the following two sentences:

    1. The voltage will be measured in this test.
    2. The voltage is measured in this test.

    In 1, for example, is there a possiblity that not only voltage but also other things may be measured? However, in 2, only the voltage is measured??

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Barbados
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 110
    #2

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    Dear native speakers,

    Please help me clear out what the difference in nuance is between the following two sentences:

    1. The voltage will be measured in this test.
    2. The voltage is measured in this test.

    In 1, for example, is there a possiblity that not only voltage but also other things may be measured? However, in 2, only the voltage is measured??
    No.

    I would say that 1 is used at the moment when one is about to run the test and 2 is used to speak about the test in general.

    Lou

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2005
    • Posts: 132
    #3

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    Dear Lou,

    Thank you for your comment and information. You have helped me a lot!
    By the way, which form do you think more appropriate when it is stated in a user's guide or what is called "manual"? Either way could be fine??

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Barbados
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 110
    #4

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    Dear Lou,

    Thank you for your comment and information. You have helped me a lot!
    By the way, which form do you think more appropriate when it is stated in a user's guide or what is called "manual"? Either way could be fine??
    For me, definitely 2:
    The voltage is measured in this test.

    Lou

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #5

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    1. The voltage will be measured in this test.
    means - in the future, the voltage will be revealed. You could also say The voltage will be measured by this test.


    2. The voltage is measured in this test.
    means - to measure voltage, use this kind of test. The test measures the voltage.



    Manual or user's guide is appropriate.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2005
    • Posts: 132
    #6

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    1. The voltage will be measured in this test.
    means - in the future, the voltage will be revealed. You could also say The voltage will be measured by this test.


    2. The voltage is measured in this test.
    means - to measure voltage, use this kind of test. The test measures the voltage.



    Manual or user's guide is appropriate.
    Do you also think that No.2 is more appropriate for manual writing?


    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 57
    #7

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    Dear native speakers,

    Please help me clear out what the difference in nuance is between the following two sentences:

    1. The voltage will be measured in this test.
    2. The voltage is measured in this test.

    In 1, for example, is there a possiblity that not only voltage but also other things may be measured? However, in 2, only the voltage is measured??
    1. Predicts what the test will do when it is performed.
    2. Describes what is the purpose of the test.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2005
    • Posts: 132
    #8

    Re: What's the difference in nuance?

    Thank you for all your comments.
    You all have helped me a lot!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2009, 11:14
  2. difference between tense and aspect
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2008, 12:26
  3. any difference ?
    By forum_mail in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2005, 07:39
  4. making the difference
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2004, 16:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •