American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

michaelkirschner

Member Type
Student or Learner
What about , "as Goldsmith points out, “since we all eat. [FONT=&quot]Of all the levels""[/FONT]

michaelkirschner

Member Type
Student or Learner
I don't think it is correct to separate those into two sentences I don't know why one part is bold and the other is not

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
What about , "as Goldsmith points out, “since we all eat. [FONT=&quot]Of all the levels""[/FONT]

Yes, all these can start sentences.

What you are listing are dependent clauses that begin with a conjunction.

The typical word order would be:
"conjunction and its clause," "main clause."

Using the dependent clause to start the sentence gives variety to writing and sustains interest. It's boring to read too many plain declarative simple sentences in a row, but variation in sentence structure brightens up reading.

On the other hand, too frequent a use of this device is tiresome.

Here are some grammatical sentences that begin with the phrases you mention:

> "As Goldsmith points out, honesty really is the best policy."

> "Since we all eat, we should learn how food choices affect health."

> "Of all the levels I have mastered while gaming, this one is the most exciting."

shinnyg

Member Type
Academic
It's supposed to be okay to begin a sentence with "of". However, I have actually been taught that it's inaccurate to begin a sentence with "and","but" and "because". Have the rules changed?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's supposed to be okay to begin a sentence with "of". However, I have actually been taught that it's inaccurate to begin a sentence with "and","but" and "because". Have the rules changed?

Hi - please start a new thread with a new question rather than posting on the end of an older thread.

It has always been okay to start with because, as long as you use it as a dependent clause before the independent clause. "Because the bus broke down, we were late to school." "Because I'm trying to lose weight, please don't offer me ice cream. I won't be able to refuse."

The rules about "And" and "But" are still pretty much the same -- don't do it in formal academic writing, but it's quite common in most informal writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.