• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

the gender of "Israel's nation"

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me who or what is understood to be embodied from her and she in the following excerpt of an essay about the Hebrews 3.

In Hebrews 3:12, the apostle Paul reports of Israel's "evil heart of unbelief," the fountain, the source, that gave birth to her irrational, erratic, unreliable spiritual and moral behavior. She could not be trusted to remain firm to her commitment to be faithful in keeping the commandments and thus God's way of life. Had the making of the covenant been a literal marriage between two humans, her conduct would have been as God called it, harlotry. However, this was an agreement between a holy, spiritual God and the human nation He chose.

I make a guess that yours answer will be "the Israel's nation". In that case why it's used her an she?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: the gender of "Israel's nation"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me who or what is understood to be embodied from her and she in the following excerpt of an essay about the Hebrews 3.

In Hebrews 3:12, the apostle Paul reports of Israel's "evil heart of unbelief," the fountain, the source, that gave birth to her irrational, erratic, unreliable spiritual and moral behavior. She could not be trusted to remain firm to her commitment to be faithful in keeping the commandments and thus God's way of life. Had the making of the covenant been a literal marriage between two humans, her conduct would have been as God called it, harlotry. However, this was an agreement between a holy, spiritual God and the human nation He chose.

I make a guess that yours answer will be "the Israel's nation". In that case why it's used her an she?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.
    Hey, vil!

Happy Sunday, amigo!

Try the following URL for a detailed answer Spiritual Fornication (Forerunner Commentary) :: Bible Tools
    Look for the passage from Ezekiel 16:13-14

Good luck!

Amigos4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: the gender of "Israel's nation"

Hi Amigos4,

Thank you again for your timely aid.

I followed immediately your advice to take a first hand look at the link Spiritual Fornication (Forerunner commentary):: Bible Tool. This link threw rich light upon that which was of interest to me.

Israel simply did whatever she wanted to do, whenever and however she wanted to do it. The harlotry implied is clearly the breaking of the terms of the marriage covenant. Her harlotry is unfaithfulness and disloyalty, which are spiritual in nature. Her sin is primarily idolatry, but all other sins are included.

Notice that, though described as a woman, she is in reality a nation that other nations admire. Israel's marriage to God bound her to keep His laws (Exodus 19:8), but she was not faithful.

She is portrayed as an unfaithful wife whose faithlessness is displayed in a far wider range of activities than just worship. Israel, the nation and wife, is unfaithful in every area and activity of life in which a faithful wife/nation would normally be involved.

Now all is as plainly as anything.

Thank you again for your backing.

Regards.

V.