Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 96
    #1

    about the "which"

    a good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

    what does "which" indicate in this sentence? it indicates the "threat of supplier power" or the "shortages in supply of global grain and maize"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #2

    Re: about the "which"

    A good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize, which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

    "which" refers to the threat (of supplier power . . . maize)


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #3

    Re: about the "which"

    Quote Originally Posted by kat2006 View Post
    a good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

    what does "which" indicate in this sentence? it indicates the "threat of supplier power" or the "shortages in supply of global grain and maize"?
    This is how I read it. Wadya figure now, Kat?

    A good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power [that/which will be] due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: about the "which"

    As I read it, since the sentence refers to "cost of biofuel", the which is relating to "shortages in supply of global grain and maize".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #5

    Re: about the "which"

    answer / will discuss / threat
    of supplier power
    due to shortages
    which / may have consequences
    on cost
    of biofuel
    and
    may impact / demand
    for biofuel cars.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #6

    Re: about the "which"

    Seems to me to depend on how you see the internal logic of the sentence. I can't see how the increasing threat of supplier power [which ought to be "to supplier power"] can have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 96
    #7

    Re: about the "which"

    thank you all for answering my question. i tend to agree with Anglika because of the reason he gave.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #8

    Re: about the "which"

    I also agree with both of Anglika's posts.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #9

    Re: about the "which"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    As I read it, since the sentence refers to "cost of biofuel", the which is relating to "shortages in supply of global grain and maize".
    ===========
    Original Sentence:
    a good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

    =================
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Seems to me to depend on how you see the internal logic of the sentence. I can't see how the increasing threat of supplier power [which ought to be "to supplier power"] can have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel.
    Anglika, 2006,

    What if 'supplier power' refers to the power that suppliers will hold over the market, the power they will exercise/hold over the cost of biofuels?
    Last edited by riverkid; 21-Jan-2008 at 05:35.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #10

    Re: about the "which"

    I take your point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. the difference between "what" and "which"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2007, 00:59
  2. The word "which" and how to use it properly
    By A.G.P. in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Dec-2007, 05:47
  3. "which" and "in which"
    By elieli123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2006, 14:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •