Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Anonymous

my answer in the exam

hello
    you asked about my answer in the exam
    our narrator isnt criminal but mad. i can affirm this by taking about his disturb character psychologically speaking.he doesnt know anything about his sanity, many times he was addresses the narratee to explor his consciousness if he is sane or not. the way he dismembered the corps shows the upnormality in his character and he congratulates himself by killing the oldman,if we suppose that he is normal ,he wouldnt act in such away.if you read the crim and punishment,rassian novel,the low of student was normal psychologically speaking.he was in the full of his sanity.we consider him criminal not mad.but in our case in the tell-tale heart ,he tryed to approve his sanity by exaggeration ,repeations,to emphsize certain point.maybe the way he prepared and did the crim shows the hostlity in his innerself
    thank you
    i hope i can see your reply and comment on my answer soon

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: my answer in the exam

Quote Originally Posted by hana
    hello
    you asked about my answer in the exam
    our narrator isnt criminal but mad. i can affirm this by taking about his disturb character psychologically speaking.he doesnt know anything about his sanity, many times he was addresses the narratee to explor his consciousness if he is sane or not. the way he dismembered the corps shows the upnormality in his character and he congratulates himself by killing the oldman,if we suppose that he is normal ,he wouldnt act in such away.if you read the crim and punishment,rassian novel,the low of student was normal psychologically speaking.he was in the full of his sanity.we consider him criminal not mad.but in our case in the tell-tale heart ,he tryed to approve his sanity by exaggeration ,repeations,to emphsize certain point.maybe the way he prepared and did the crim shows the hostlity in his innerself
    thank you
    i hope i can see your reply and comment on my answer soon
    That seems like a good explanation. :D I can't remember the original question; could you post it again? By the way, do you think there is a difference between mad and criminally insane?

• Post Thanks / Like

hello
    thank you sir
    i asked about the relationship between criminality and madness in the short story the tell-tale heart

when he asked about relationship in the exam, i think he meant similarities btween them
    i read it many times but i havent found such thing
    the exam is end but i want to know the correct answer from your point view
    i need the answer
    very urgent to satisfy my inquisitivity
    really i cannt wait
    i want to know from you any thing might lead me to the right answer
    your opinion is very important as a reader of literture and native and the same time
    english is asecond language for me am sure that there is many thing hidden from me as a learner

• Post Thanks / Like

Please read the following. :D

Quote Originally Posted by "Poe Decoder"[b
    Theme[/b]
    Human nature is a delicate balance of light and dark or good and evil. Most of the time this precarious balance is maintained; however, when there is a shift, for whatever reason, the dark or perverse side surfaces. How and why this "dark side" emerges differs from person to person. What may push one individual "over the edge" will only cause a raised eyebrow in another. In this case, it is the "vulture eye" of the old man that makes the narrator's blood run cold. It is this irrational fear which evokes the dark side, and eventually leads to murder. The narrator plans, executes and conceals the crime; however, "[w]hat has been hidden within the self will not stay concealed...." (Silverman 208) The narrator speaks of an illness that has heightened the senses: "Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heavens and in the earth. I heard many things in hell." The narrator repeatedly insists that he(she) is not mad; however the reader soon realizes that the fear of the vulture eye has consumed the narrator, who has now become a victim to the madness which he had hoped to elude.
    SOURCE

• Post Thanks / Like

you asked me if there is adifferene between them insane
    in my opinion
    being mad, i think he isnot resposible for what he doing and i dont know if we should plame him or not
    being criminal, in the full of his sanity ,he is responsible
    he realized what he did
    i read an interpretation by martha
    the narrator is afraid, and this phobia leads him gradually to madness
    but in his origin he isnt mad
    in another site
    mentioned something about his wife death and being orphan and how affected his life to miserable one
    my question is
    is the narrator in his origin case is normal from the begingyou mentioned sth about the dark side of the narrator that evokes evil to kill someone
    but even if he is criminal he wouldnt act in such away
    seven days he watched him then after killing him he dismembered his corps above all he was happy by so doing and congratulated himself
    this is upnormal
    what do you mean when you asked about the difference between criminality and madness ,uptill now i didnt read your opinion
    thank you very much for your cooporation

• Post Thanks / Like

you asked me if there is adifferene between them insane
    in my opinion being mad, i think he is not resposible for what he doing and i dont know if we should blame him or not being criminal, in the full of his sanity, he is responsible he realized what he did.
    First of all, we don't know if the narrator is male (he) or female (she). The author, Poe, doesn't say. He uses "I" through the entire tale. Second, the point is this: Is s/he mad or not? That is, did s/he know what s/he was doing? Even though the narrator "continually stressing to the reader that s/he is not mad, and tries to convince us of that fact by how carefully this brutal crime was planned and executed (Martha Womack)", we can't really tell for certain if s/he was not mad.

You see, if we look at the reason the narrator killed the old man (i.e. the evil eye, which is a bad omen, something that can cause illness and bad fortune to those it peers upon), we find her/his motive stems from an irrational fear: the fear of the old man's blue eye! The narrator is not afraid of the old man, per se, s/he is afraid of the "eye".

That in itself is somewhat significant. The reason being, and the gist of all of this, the narrator's comment that her/his new found will to kill made her/him feel fantastic, and almost super-human (i.e. he could hear the ticking of a watch). Her/His irrational fear of the old man's eye made her/him behave like a different person, a better person, according to the narrator.

So, was s/he mad? Well, now there's the rub. Of course taking the life of another is a criminal act and the murderer responsible for her/his actions; but, can the murderer be held responsible for a crime committed out of perceived self-defense? That's the true question here. Remember that the narrator murdered the "eye"; the old man was simply the vessel. It even had a beating heart. The narrator snuck into the old man's room at night to view the "eye", not the old man. Notice that the old man's character is not defined as well as that of the eye's.

In short, irrational fears lead some people to madness, and madness may lead them to committ a crime.

i read an interpretation by martha the narrator is afraid, and this phobia leads him gradually to madness but in his origin he isnt mad in another site mentioned something about his wife death and being orphan and how affected his life to miserable one
    Just a quick note, my previous post to you was written by Martha Womack, and I found it at the Poe Decoder site). :wink:

my question is is the narrator in his origin case is normal from the beging you mentioned sth about the dark side of the narrator that evokes evil to kill someone but even if he is criminal he wouldnt act in such away
    seven days he watched him then after killing him he dismembered his corps above all he was happy by so doing and congratulated himself
    this is upnormal what do you mean when you asked about the difference between criminality and madness ,uptill now i didnt read your opinion
    thank you very much for your cooporation
    That's what the author wants us, the readers, to pick up on; that the narrator is meticulous in her/his actions; clear-minded, focused, like a well-tuned executionist. The narrator's irrational fear made her/him do things s/he wouldn't normally do under normal circumstances. The madness is the narrator's seemingly calm, cool "rational" behavior.

In short, if rationality makes one sane, then what happened to the narrator, because her/his irrational fear made her/him act rationally. That's the rub!

Is the narrator mad?
    Even though the narrator carried out the crime in a rational way, for example, s/he stalked her/his victim, murdered without guilt, and it took three days to do it; S/he had no compassion; s/he saw human beings as objects, and it was her/his irrational fear that lead her/him to do it.

So, should the narrator go to jail and pay for her/his crime or should s/he placed in a hospital for the temporarily insane? Can we/Should we convict someone who is (temporarily) mad or are they a victim as well?

In The Tell-Tale Heart, Poe sets the reader up as judge and jury. You be the judge, expresses Poe.

As a reader, did you feel hatred and disgust for the narrator or did you feel pity and compassion. What is the relationship between madness and criminality? I felt pity and compassion. Is s/he a criminal? Well, I personally feel that s/he is and yet she isn't--which is probably exactly what the author intended would happen. :wink:

All the best, :D

• Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much
    you said we couldnt decide either the narrator male or femal couldnt be (I) he used meant the writer himself as part of his memories
    thank you again

• Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much
    you said we couldnt decide either the narrator male or femal couldnt be (I) he used meant the writer himself as part of his memories
    thank you again
    I'd hate to disagree with you on that point, so, OK. :D

• Post Thanks / Like

hello
    this time nothing has to do with my study
    this related to my extra reading
    i read hamlet and i have some questions related to it:
    -why gertrude couldnt see the ghost,the ghost is nt invisible,hartio,bernardo and francisco saw him and about to talk with ghost
    -hamlet compared himself with the mythical character,herucles is this ironic or he meant something else and then again he compared himself to hecuba what hamlet to her and what hecuba to hamlet
    --hamlet delayed his reveng, it seems that hamlet aman of thought rather than action, did hamlet show sympathy when he saw the good side of cludios manifested
    thank you

• Post Thanks / Like

hello
    i hope you read my latent questions
    shal i have the answers soon ?
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast