hi this is my post

1)One rule of thumb when tackling multiple-choice question. The test maker may tease you with an answer that off the top of your head might look right ?

What does "off" mean here ? The word isn't even necessary!

2)Similarly, classical literature usually explores themes of love, love lost, beauty or death. Modern passages are more likely to be about racism, coming of age, individual rights or technology.

I don't understand what "love lost" is ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: hi this is my post

Quote Originally Posted by sympathy View Post
    1)One rule of thumb when tackling multiple-choice question. The test maker may tease you with an answer that off the top of your head might look right ?

What does "off" mean here ? The word isn't even necessary!

2)Similarly, classical literature usually explores themes of love, love lost, beauty or death. Modern passages are more likely to be about racism, coming of age, individual rights or technology.

I don't understand what "love lost" is ?

Sympathy,

1) One rule of thumb when tackling multiple-choice question: The test maker may tease you with an answer that , off the top of your head , might look right..."off the tip of your head" here means an approximation, a quick recollection or without calculation.
    This sentence means that the test maker may give you an answer which, as an approximation or without calculation, may look right to you (but may not necessarily be right).

2) "Love lost" means animosity, dislike, hard feelings, enmity etc.

"love lost" : You are in love with someone. For some reason or another, that person no longer wants to be around you. You have lost that love. It is love lost.

It has no connotations of enmity. There is an idiom "No love lost" which does have the meaning of animosity. It can be expanded as We do not waste unwanted feelings on something

Shalstudent - can you find a stronger colour for your posts? They are difficult to read. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

ok, alright!! So there is a difference between "love lost" and "no losve lost". I actually thought that both were the same.

It's a good thing to learn something new every day