• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

hit a rut / hit the rut

I think this is an idiom, but I don't have the context in which the idiom was used anymore. I should've posted the question right then, but I didn't readily have access to the internet and I got lazy. I don't even remember whether it was to 'hit a rut' or 'hit the rut', but I remember the context involved cigarette companies, mergers, something being stigmatized, investors drooling over something, perhaps the merger, and something about their plan hitting a / the rut. This is all I can remember, and I know you can't get a clear picture with these, but I'm hoping that the idiom is quite clear in its meaning that you don't really need any context to tell me what it means.

- HKB

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: hit a rut / hit the rut

It would be nice to have the context, but it was probably "hit a rut" >> met a problem

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Or "in a rut" or "got in a rut" which means in the same way or nothing new.

She got in a rut about wearing that same hat every day.

He was in a rut about the way he drove to work.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hara Kiri Blade,

From one hand the term “rut” = 1. a sunken track or groove made by the passage of vehicle.
    2. a fixed, usually boring routine;

A habitual, laborious, often tiresome course of action; treadmill

“There for her the rut sending the front tire up in the air and when the back tire hit the rut her front tire was in the air and the back tire was pushed up over her head sending the front tire down causing a over handle bar effect. “

“I hit the rut, a little high, jumped onto the side wall, as the bike slid down the wall and hit the track, which was a nice traction grabbing…..”

“Successful companies understand when to find a new groove before the old one becomes a rut. Those companies not so successful stay in that rut until its gets so deep they don't even see a way out.”

“With the pace of the business and the mind – numbing number of urgent demanding on executives, attention, it is easy to become distracted and forget to focus on the important things in your business. Often these things in a groove are ignored, taken for granted, assuming to be functioning well and are let go until they go wrong and hit the rut. Then they hit the “problem radar”, get noticed, and only then are given proper attention.”

From the other hand the term “rut” = an annually recurring or a regular period of sexual excitement in female mammals during which they are in hunt (ready to accept a male for mating).

The Rut” is the time when white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus), especially bucks, are more active and less cautious than usual. This makes them easier to hunt, as well as more susceptible to being hit by motor vehicles.

“Archery deer and elk condo hunts and straight elk hunts begin the 15th of September and end of the month. The timing is set to hit the rut, bugle season, to increase the chance of harvesting a trophy bull. Sitting over active wallows and calling are the methods used for elk hunting during this time.”

Rut-crazedwhitetail bucks are the target of this hunt that takes place in the foothills of the Bighorns”

“I think you should hit the rut then as well. It can vary a little bit, but it should be underway around that time.”

Regards.

V.