• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

several questions while reading, please help

Dear teachers,
    These days I am studying an English textbook, I am puzzled by the following questions.

1: It speaks to the importance of education and the University of Hawaii to nurturing the core values.
    I looked up "speak to", it means prove. but my question is "to" here. If the sentence reads like this:
    It speaks to the importance of education and (the importance of) the University of Hawaii's nurturing the core values.
    I can understand it. but here "to" confused me. What's the usage of "to" here? Could you give me more examples?

2: My father worked very hard under conditions that would today make a civil rights or labor attorney come running.
    What's the meaning of come running? Will you please paraphrase it and give me more examples?

3: (I lived in a very small town, there was a library and I loved it and used it..... ) Through the wonder of the inner-library loan, I was furnished with stacks of books on whatever sank a hook into my curiosity.
    What does inner-library loan mean here? If loan can mean borrowing books, then what about inner-library? from the text, it's just a library in a small town, no outer-library was mentioned. Help me please.

Thanks.
    yours
    japanjapan

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: several questions while reading, please help

1: It speaks to the importance of education and the University of Hawaii to nurturing the core values.
    I looked up "speak to", it means prove. but my question is "to" here. If the sentence reads like this:
    It speaks to the importance of education and (the importance of) the University of Hawaii's nurturing the core values.
    I can understand it. but here "to" confused me. What's the usage of "to" here? Could you give me more examples?

You are correct. The original sentence is not gramatically correct. It is just a typographical error. (What is "IT" referring to?)

2: My father worked very hard under conditions that would today make a civil rights or labor attorney come running.
    What's the meaning of come running? Will you please paraphrase it and give me more examples?

A Civil rights or labor attorney would be very interested in the working conditions that the father had to endure. They would be very anxious to take the company to court for having poor working conditions. The "come running" is just a figure of speech to show that the attorney would take the case enthusiatically.

3: (I lived in a very small town, there was a library and I loved it and used it..... ) Through the wonder of the inner-library loan, I was furnished with stacks of books on whatever sank a hook into my curiosity.
    What does inner-library loan mean here? If loan can mean borrowing books, then what about inner-library? from the text, it's just a library in a small town, no outer-library was

"Inner-library loaning" is an agreement between many libraries to share books. So this person was not only able to check out his own library's books, he was also able to take out the books from many other libraries in other towns.