1. Unregistered

Please, which is the correct way?

Hello, friends.

Please, which is the correct way and why? :)

Doubt #1

"color of the car" x "car color" x "car's color"
    "leg of the cat" x "cat leg" x "cat's leg"
    "pizza of yesterday" x "yesterday pizza" x "yesterday's pizza"

I've heard that Genitive Case is used only with nouns which are "living creatures" (humans, animals, etc.)? Is that true? So, "car's color" would be incorrect because "car" is not a living creature. So, when do I have to use OF, Genitive case or "nothing"?

Doubt #2

Sometimes, I see periods which contain direct speech within quotes. For example:

The father arrived home and said "Honey, I'm here!", then he dropped his briefcase on the couch.

1) Is the writing this period correct? Shouldn't I use colon before the direct speech?

The father arrived home and said: "Honey, I'm here!", then he dropped his briefcase on the couch.

2) When the direct speech is at the end of the sentence, where should I put the period? Example:

The father arrived home, dropped his briefcase on the couch and said "Honey, I'm here!" (???)

Do I have to put a period after the final quote? ... "Honey, I'm here!".

Is the exclamation mark considered the final punctuation of the sentence? ... "Honey, I'm here!"

What if the direct speech final punctuation is a regular period? ... "Honey, I'm here." (???)

Do I have to put another period after the final quote? ... "Honey, I'm here.".

Is the first period considered the last punctuation of the sentence? ... "Honey, I'm here."

Thank you very much for your attention, guys. :)

Hugs,

brunces

Re: Please, which is the correct way?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello, friends.

Please, which is the correct way and why? :)

Doubt #1

"color of the car" x "car color" x "car's color" All these can be used.
    "leg of the cat" x "cat leg" x "cat's leg" "leg of the cat"/
    "cat's leg. NOT cat leg

"pizza of yesterday" x "yesterday pizza" x "yesterday's pizza" yesterday's pizza.

I've heard that Genitive Case is used only with nouns which are "living creatures" (humans, animals, etc.)? Is that true? So, "car's color" would be incorrect because "car" is not a living creature. So, when do I have to use OF, Genitive case or "nothing"? No - you can use a genitive with anything = the car's color, the sun's rays, the moon's beams, the cat's coat, the rose's flower, today's news.

Doubt #2

Sometimes, I see periods which contain direct speech within quotes. For example:

The father arrived home and said "Honey, I'm here!", then he dropped his briefcase on the couch.

1) Is the writing this period correct? Shouldn't I use colon before the direct speech? No - a comma. A semi-colon would also improve the sentence.

The father arrived home and said, "Honey, I'm here!"; then he dropped his briefcase on the couch.

2) When the direct speech is at the end of the sentence, where should I put the period? Example:

The father arrived home, dropped his briefcase on the couch and said "Honey, I'm here!" (???)

Do I have to put a period after the final quote? ... "Honey, I'm here!". No - the exclamation mark finishes the sentence.

Is the exclamation mark considered the final punctuation of the sentence? ... "Honey, I'm here!" Yes.

What if the direct speech final punctuation is a regular period? ... "Honey, I'm here." (???)

Do I have to put another period after the final quote? ... "Honey, I'm here.".

Is the first period considered the last punctuation of the sentence? ... "Honey, I'm here." Same as above - the period/full stop is ending the sentence.

What you have is dialogue, not "quotation" which is the repeating of a text from elsewhere.

Thank you very much for your attention, guys. :)

Hugs,

brunces