Some words

1) Do you think electronic forms of entertainment are more enriching than traditional pastimes such as reading, playINg sports and going out with a group of friends?

Does enriching here means lavish in quantity or makes you more advantageous?

2)Two senior accountants could not see eye to eye on managing the fund and they didn't speak to one another for a long time because of it. Last week, the head of the accounting department decided that the disagreement had lasted long enough. He confronted both accountants and told them that unless they could reach some sort of compromise, they might be moved to another department. He was very direct with them, and they seemed to understand his point. Now the disagreement has been forgotten and there's finally peace in the office.

Question: The department head decided not to shoot from the hip True or False?

I choose True but the answer turned out to be False. I wondered why because he just laid the problem on the lay but not shot from the hip?

3) I'm looking for some words:
    a) When people throw trash away on the street heedlessly anytime, anyplace. What is the adjective for this kind of action?
    b) You splash a kind of liquid on your bathroom floor after you clean the bathroom up. What is the name of that liquid? And what is the verb can we replace for clean up in this context?
    c) If the road is in poor quality with too many potholes, we feel shaken when driving, what word can we replace shaken here?
    Last edited by belly_ttt; 31-Jan-2008 at 08:14.

Re: Some words

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    1) Do you think electronic forms of entertainment are more enriching than traditional pastimes such as reading, playINg sports and going out with a group of friends?

Does enriching here means lavish in quantity or makes you more advantageous?
    enriching life = makes life fuller and richer

2)Two senior accountants could not see eye to eye on managing the fund and they didn't speak to one another for a long time because of it. Last week, the head of the accounting department decided that the disagreement had lasted long enough. He confronted both accountants and told them that unless they could reach some sort of compromise, they might be moved to another department. He was very direct with them, and they seemed to understand his point. Now the disagreement has been forgotten and there's finally peace in the office.

Question: The department head decided not to shoot from the hip True or False?

I choose True but the answer turned out to be False. I wondered why because he just laid the problem on the lay but not shot from the hip?

If he had shot from the hip, he would have sacked/fired both men. By taking the action he followed, he created a conciliatory situation allowing both men to back down.

3) I'm looking for some words:
    a) When people throw trash away on the street heedlessly any time, any place. What is the adjective for this kind of action? indiscriminate/mindless
    b) You splash a kind of liquid on your bathroom floor after you clean the bathroom up. What is the name of that liquid? And what is the verb can we replace for clean up in this context? "Floor polish/floor sealant/floor wax". I don't know of any other terms for cleaning your bathroom, apart from clean or swab or mop.
    c) If the road is in poor quality with too many potholes, we feel shaken when driving, what word can we replace shaken here? jolted/joggled/ jounced