Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    181

    Thumbs up Run in and out of

    Hi all,

    what is the meaning of «run in and out» inthe following context?:

    «Gratitude and admiration ran in and out of his regret ever after».

    It refers to a man whose father has recently died. At first he felt regret (because he thought he should feel consternated and he really did not), and then, after reading his father's generous will, he also felt gratitude and admiration.

    Thank You!!

  2. #2
    louhevly is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Barbados
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    110

    Re: Run in and out of

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Hi all,

    what is the meaning of «run in and out» inthe following context?:

    «Gratitude and admiration ran in and out of his regret ever after».

    It refers to a man whose father has recently died. At first he felt regret (because he thought he should feel consternated and he really did not), and then, after reading his father's generous will, he also felt gratitude and admiration.

    Thank You!!
    I would say it was written by a non-native, probably trying to say that his regret was affected by gratitude and admiration. But you'd have to ask the author to be sure.

  3. #3
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    181

    Re: Run in and out of

    Quote Originally Posted by louhevly View Post
    I would say it was written by a non-native, probably trying to say that his regret was affected by gratitude and admiration. But you'd have to ask the author to be sure.
    Thank You for your response but i am afraid she is British...
    Janet Browne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So, if she, instead of a non-native, was a Harvard Professor, what do you think she could mean with «run in and out»?

    Maybe «fluctuate»?

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    louhevly is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Barbados
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    110

    Re: Run in and out of

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Thank You for your response but i am afraid she is British...
    Janet Browne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So, if she, instead of a non-native, was a Harvard Professor, what do you think she could mean with «run in and out»?

    Maybe «fluctuate»?

    Thanks!
    Even native speakers can make mistakes or use bad judgement. As to what it means, "fluctuate" is perhaps a good guess.

  5. #5
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    181

    Re: Run in and out of

    Quote Originally Posted by louhevly View Post
    Even native speakers can make mistakes or use bad judgement. As to what it means, "fluctuate" is perhaps a good guess.
    Thank you so much, louhevly

  6. #6
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,397

    Re: Run in and out of

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Hi all,

    what is the meaning of «run in and out» inthe following context?:

    «Gratitude and admiration ran in and out of his regret ever after».

    It refers to a man whose father has recently died. At first he felt regret (because he thought he should feel consternated and he really did not), and then, after reading his father's generous will, he also felt gratitude and admiration.

    Thank You!!
    All through his life, his sense of regret about his father is periodically affected by his feelings of admiration and gratitude for what his father provided in his will.

    It is a vivid figure of speech.

  7. #7
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    181

    Re: Run in and out of

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    All through his life, his sense of regret about his father is periodically affected by his feelings of admiration and gratitude for what his father provided in his will.

    It is a vivid figure of speech.
    Ok Anglika, I see the point.
    Thank you for your detailed explanation, always helpful!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •