Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 757
    #1

    Is the sentence correct?

    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask if the following sentence is correct.

    Annually, employees working in potentially hazardous conditions undergo a periodic medical examination to receive a fitness to work certificate certificate and for prophylaxis of occupationally related diseases.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,398
    #2

    Re: Is the sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask if the following sentence is correct.

    Annually, employees working in potentially hazardous conditions undergo a periodic medical examination to receive a fitness to work certificate certificate and for prophylaxis of occupationally related diseases.
    I would hyphenate "fitness-to-work" - and you only need certificate once

    "prophylactics against occupational diseases".

  2. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 757
    #3

    Re: Is the sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I would hyphenate "fitness-to-work" - and you only need certificate once

    "prophylactics against occupational diseases".
    Thank you very much, Anglika.

  3. Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,932
    #4

    Re: Is the sentence correct?

    prophylaxis is a noun for "preventive treatment."

    Is this what your employees will receive?

    Annually, employees working in potentially hazardous conditions undergo a periodic medical examination to receive a fitness to work certificate and prophylaxis of occupationally related diseases.





  4. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 757
    #5

    Re: Is the sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    prophylaxis is a noun for "preventive treatment."

    Is this what your employees will receive?

    Annually, employees working in potentially hazardous conditions undergo a periodic medical examination to receive a fitness to work certificate and prophylaxis of occupationally related diseases.
    Thank you very much, susiedqq, for your reply.
    To be honest, I'm not completely sure what word (prophylaxis or prophylactics) I should use. The russian sentence says that annually, employees undergo only a periodic medical examination and that this examination is prophylaxis of/prophylactics against occupational diseases, meaning that during this examination the very first signs of a disease can be detected and medical treatment in this case will begin earlier.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,398
    #6

    Re: Is the sentence correct?

    "... and prophylaxis will be implemented where there is diagnosis of occupational disease".

  5. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 757
    #7

    Re: Is the sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "... and prophylaxis will be implemented where there is diagnosis of occupational disease".
    Thank you very much, Anglika.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •