wrassle ?

What does wrassle mean? I looked it up in the dictionary but found nothing.

Here's the context:

"If you bring a gator to the white house, I'll wrassle it".
    It's from a comedy show (David Letterman Late Show)

Might it be a typo for wrestle?

Thank you

Re: wrassle ?

It is not a typo, but a means of showing a colloquial and regional pronunciation of "wrestle".

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is not a typo, but a means of showing a colloquial and regional pronunciation of "wrestle".
    Oh, I got the point. I just have a curiosity about this kind of variations. Is there a definite number of variations of a word or might there be an indefinite number of spellings of the same word (provided that it is understandable)?
    Since I didn't find any entry in on-line dictionaries I'd go for the second option.

The answer is both - you can reproduce spoken sounds as you choose, but there are also recognised written forms of dialect or slang.

Here is a site for Black Country dialect in England: Black Country Dialect

Here' another for American dialect: American Dialect Links

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    The answer is both - you can reproduce spoken sounds as you choose, but there are also recognised written forms of dialect or slang.

Here is a site for Black Country dialect in England: Black Country Dialect

Here' another for American dialect: American Dialect Links
    Thank you so much Anglika... You provided very interesting links.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

As a footnote: "wrassle" is also in accord with the informal abbreviation "gator".

In cases like this, it's quite possible that the pronunciation doesn't reflect the normal pronunciation of the speaker: non-standard accents and pronunciations are sometimes adopted for humorous effect.

Best wishes,

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    As a footnote: "wrassle" is also in accord with the informal abbreviation "gator".

In cases like this, it's quite possible that the pronunciation doesn't reflect the normal pronunciation of the speaker: non-standard accents and pronunciations are sometimes adopted for humorous effect.

Best wishes,

MrP
    Thank you MrPdantic.
    Actually I had some problems with that gator as well but I looked it up in the dictionary and found out it standed for alligator. The problem with wrassle arose because I found no entry in any on-line dictionary.
    As for the humorous effect, this is certainly the case since the sentence was pronounced in a humorous context as you can understand from the sentence itself.