Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    449

    wrassle ?

    What does wrassle mean? I looked it up in the dictionary but found nothing.

    Here's the context:

    "If you bring a gator to the white house, I'll wrassle it".
    It's from a comedy show (David Letterman Late Show)

    Might it be a typo for wrestle?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,397

    Re: wrassle ?

    It is not a typo, but a means of showing a colloquial and regional pronunciation of "wrestle".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    449

    Re: wrassle ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is not a typo, but a means of showing a colloquial and regional pronunciation of "wrestle".
    Oh, I got the point. I just have a curiosity about this kind of variations. Is there a definite number of variations of a word or might there be an indefinite number of spellings of the same word (provided that it is understandable)?
    Since I didn't find any entry in on-line dictionaries I'd go for the second option.

  4. #4
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,397

    Re: wrassle ?

    The answer is both - you can reproduce spoken sounds as you choose, but there are also recognised written forms of dialect or slang.

    Here is a site for Black Country dialect in England: Black Country Dialect

    Here' another for American dialect: American Dialect Links

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    449

    Re: wrassle ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    The answer is both - you can reproduce spoken sounds as you choose, but there are also recognised written forms of dialect or slang.

    Here is a site for Black Country dialect in England: Black Country Dialect

    Here' another for American dialect: American Dialect Links
    Thank you so much Anglika... You provided very interesting links.

  6. #6
    MrPedantic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,579

    Re: wrassle ?

    As a footnote: "wrassle" is also in accord with the informal abbreviation "gator".

    In cases like this, it's quite possible that the pronunciation doesn't reflect the normal pronunciation of the speaker: non-standard accents and pronunciations are sometimes adopted for humorous effect.

    Best wishes,

    MrP

    Not a professional ESL teacher.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    449

    Re: wrassle ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    As a footnote: "wrassle" is also in accord with the informal abbreviation "gator".

    In cases like this, it's quite possible that the pronunciation doesn't reflect the normal pronunciation of the speaker: non-standard accents and pronunciations are sometimes adopted for humorous effect.

    Best wishes,

    MrP
    Thank you MrPdantic.
    Actually I had some problems with that gator as well but I looked it up in the dictionary and found out it standed for alligator. The problem with wrassle arose because I found no entry in any on-line dictionary.
    As for the humorous effect, this is certainly the case since the sentence was pronounced in a humorous context as you can understand from the sentence itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •