• Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Question is being been

What is this construction?

...The family of a Cumbrian human rights worker who is being been held in Angola on suspicion of espionage hope she may soon be allowed to return home...

...Windows XP is being been seen as a pivotal part of the software empire's strategy to expand its influence over the internet...

...Budget implications are being been discussed...

The more I surf the Net reading different things, the more confused I get about English grammar. Am I missing something? Is there any name for such construction? If so, when to use it and what does it mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: is being been

Hello Engee,

There are several names for this construction: bad editing, lazy proof-reading, incompetent cut-and-pasting...

The sentences should read:

1. ...The family of a Cumbrian human rights worker who is being held in Angola on suspicion of espionage hope she may soon be allowed to return home...

2. ...Windows XP is being seen as a pivotal part of the software empire's strategy to expand its influence over the internet...

3. ...Budget implications are being discussed...

Whereupon order returns, and we are left with harmless present progressive passive constructions.

Best wishes,

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: is being been

Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    There are several names for this construction: bad editing, lazy proof-reading, incompetent cut-and-pasting...

The sentences should read:

1. ...The family of a Cumbrian human rights worker who is being held in Angola on suspicion of espionage hope she may soon be allowed to return home...

2. ...Windows XP is being seen as a pivotal part of the software empire's strategy to expand its influence over the internet...

3. ...Budget implications are being discussed...
    Thank you, MrP, for your explanation. That's exactly what I thought of such usage, but needed some confirmation from a person of your knowledge.