• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

The usage of "SORT OF"

Hello Everyone,

"Sort of " is quite frequenly used both in written and oral English! However, most of the time, I don't know why it is used because I can't find out its actual meaning. The sentence still works whether "sort of " is ommitted or not! To make things even worse, its corresponding meaning can't be found in Chinese sometimes!

For example , what is the use of sort of in the following sentences?

1.We have come to the very clear-cut sort of decision that treatment under these circumstances really works.

And by the way what does clear-cut mean here?

Regards

Sky

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: The usage of "SORT OF"

In this sentence 'sort of' is wrong and only makes the meaning confusing. 'Clear cut' means obvious or straightforward or correct or no nonsense. The use of 'very' is superfluous. 'Sort of' generally suggests 'like' and there is an implication, when using it, that what has been said is not the best description.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by apex2000 View Post
    In this sentence 'sort of' is wrong and only makes the meaning confusing. 'Clear cut' means obvious or straightforward or correct or no nonsense. The use of 'very' is superfluous. 'Sort of' generally suggests 'like' and there is an implication, when using it, that what has been said is not the best description.
    Thanks a lot for your reply! Your explanation is much better than that descriped in the dictionary! Such question, I feel, can only be solved by native English speakers. Thank you once more!

And the sentence used here is taken from a text in the advanced oral interpretation course. After all, such book is written by Chinese and mistakes, like this , are unavoidable, I think!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply! Your explanation is much better than that descriped in the dictionary! Such question, I feel, can only be solved by native English speakers. Thank you once more!

And the sentence used here is taken from a text in the advanced oral interpretation course. After all, such book is written by Chinese and mistakes, like this , are unavoidable, I think!
    Ah yes! Mistakes in interpretation can be very easy to make. However, it is nice to know that not all Chinese are inscrutable!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by apex2000 View Post
    Ah yes! Mistakes in interpretation can be very easy to make. However, it is nice to know that not all Chinese are inscrutable!
    Sorry to learn that many Chinese has given you the impression that they are cold!! But most of them are kind, I feel!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Cold? Never, except for some politicians!
    Inscrutable = no display of feeling, emotion, thought(s) and therefore it is very difficult, even impossible, to make an assessment of what that person is thinking. Excellent for the poker player!
    I play squash with one (it was two) Chinese ex-pats on a regular basis. We have a good time even though I am invariably beaten.